Why become a member? ×

4K TV for computer?

Dood

Just a quick question really:

(I believe that) my MacBook Pro supports connecting to a 4K TV. Does anyone else use a standard TV as a 'large' monitor, especially with regard to music software? Even 1080P - Just planning on what to do with my studio space and quite like the idea of mounting a large monitor to the wall later in the year. I think it might be quite a cool inclusion with my big ole studio monitors either side!

Edited by dood

I used to have a big HD TV running in my studio as the large editing screen. It was really useful, but did seem to interfere with guitars somewhat in terms of hum

Since I moved studios I've gone back to my small computer monitors. To be honest the fact that people could see what I was doing to manipulate their performances and "tones" turned out to be a significant hindrance for some sessions IE people wouldn't let me fix their mistakes or replace their crap line-6 combo distortion with one of my amp sims, etc.

Thank you for the reply!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1491231073' post='3271386']
I used to have a big HD TV running in my studio as the large editing screen. It was really useful, but [i]did seem to interfere with guitars[/i] somewhat in terms of hum
[/quote]

Hmmmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1491231073' post='3271386']
Since I moved studios I've gone back to my small computer monitors. To be honest the fact that people could see what I was doing to manipulate their performances and "tones" turned out to be a significant hindrance for some sessions IE people wouldn't let me fix their mistakes or replace their crap line-6 combo distortion with one of my amp sims, etc.
[/quote]

I think I'll be safe as I tend to remote record from here so only my own wrong notes to fix ha ha!!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1491230437' post='3271380']
Just a quick question really:

(I believe that) my MacBook Pro supports connecting to a 4K TV. Does anyone else use a standard TV as a 'large' monitor, especially with regard to music software? Even 1080P - Just planning on what to do with my studio space and quite like the idea of mounting a large monitor to the wall later in the year. I think it might be quite a cool inclusion with my big ole studio monitors either side!
[/quote]

Do not use a TV for this, get a 4k monitor.

TV and monitors have quite different design priorities. You might think oh its just x number of dots but ... no this is far from the case, the screen panels and the processing electronics are often quite different and generally one of them will do at best an OK job of what the other one does. Use a TV as a monitor an you will often have to contend with pixel bleed, picture cropping, out of what colour balance and various other things (because TV/movies settings for colour look rubbish for general computer use and vice versa).

I mean you wouldnt buy a guitar amp to use for bass would you B) .

I have one of these [url="http://www.ebuyer.com/745728-philips-bdm4350uc-00-43-ips-lcd-monitor-bdm4350uc-00?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5YfHBRDzjNnioYq3_swBEiQArj4pdOIQ3_bKqmfLb8B6g869UX-JSayU2Acn0A5X8iSrxDEaAiOP8P8HAQ"]http://www.ebuyer.co...rxDEaAiOP8P8HAQ[/url]

its absolutely awesome. Not need to wall mount it, just slap it on your desk, the pixel density is about the same as a high speck 27" - its just way bigger.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1491231974' post='3271402']
well if you don't get any hum issues it's easily worth it, bigger screen means less eye strain when you're getting into details
[/quote]

You are SO right!! - I'm running dual screens already here which is brilliant, especially for magazine review writing, composing etc, so I won't be at all upset about having to upgrade to MORE screen ha! *When my bank account allows.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1491232160' post='3271407']
Do not use a TV for this, get a 4k monitor.

TV and monitors have quite different design priorities. You might think oh its just x number of dots but ... no this is far from the case, the screen panels and the processing electronics are often quite different and generally one of them will do at best an OK job of what the other one does. Use a TV as a monitor an you will often have to contend with pixel bleed, picture cropping, out of what colour balance and various other things (because TV/movies settings for colour look rubbish for general computer use and vice versa).

I mean you wouldnt buy a guitar amp to use for bass would you B) .

I have one of these [url="http://www.ebuyer.com/745728-philips-bdm4350uc-00-43-ips-lcd-monitor-bdm4350uc-00?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5YfHBRDzjNnioYq3_swBEiQArj4pdOIQ3_bKqmfLb8B6g869UX-JSayU2Acn0A5X8iSrxDEaAiOP8P8HAQ"]http://www.ebuyer.co...rxDEaAiOP8P8HAQ[/url]

its absolutely awesome. Not need to wall mount it, just slap it on your desk, the pixel density is about the same as a high speck 27" - its just way bigger.
[/quote]

Thank you, I'll take a look at the link. My current screens are a pair of 27"ers.

It's worth it.

Even though I knew it would happen, it was still a pleasant surprise seeing a fullscreen window, on my 15" MBP, turn into a 1/4 screen window on my 4K tv.

Suddenly there's MASSIVE amounts of desktop real estate...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1491238491' post='3271483']
It's worth it.

Even though I knew it would happen, it was still a pleasant surprise seeing a fullscreen window, on my 15" MBP, turn into a 1/4 screen window on my 4K tv.

Suddenly there's MASSIVE amounts of desktop real estate...
[/quote]

Ahhhhh who needs amplifiers and cabinets anyway! I need a big screen!!! :)