Why become a member? ×

Thundercat

EJWW

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1499329795' post='3330732']...I'm loving it, but not from a bass perspective.[/quote]

That's [i]exactly [/i]the point with Thundercat. You either like his music or you don't, irrespective of his approach to bass playing.

I think a lot of bass players hear about him being "one of us" and stroll up expecting some guy thumping out funky fingerstyle grooves, or whatever, and are surprised to find out that he's doing something completely different.

If you're concerned by Thundercat's noodling, then rest assured this isn't some "new direction for bass players", far from it. I imagine the vast majority of young bass players are still practicing the same old stuff that many of us play in pubs and bars every weekend.

Personally, I dig Thundercat's music and find him very refreshing in lots of ways. But he's not my go-to bass player when I want to hear a bass player ;)

He's doing his own thing that also appeals to non bass players and non musicians - he connects with people which is what I think music is about.

Also lets not forget Thundercat isn't all that new.... As far as I can remember he was playing bass for suicidal tendencies and snoop dog I think in the early 2000s....

If some bass players don't consider what Thundercat plays as bass playing then I don't know what to think about patitucci, janek gwizdala, Stanley Clarke etc.... He's just pushing things as a solo artist.

I agree there is a retro feel to his songs which I really like! I should also add I love the greats of the 60s/70s that I grew up listening to from my dads record collection as well as new virtuoso bass players.

[quote name='attackbass' timestamp='1499461023' post='3331770']
He's doing his own thing that also appeals to non bass players and non musicians.
[/quote]

Agreed, because it's certainly not traditional bass guitar in any sense.

Blue

His music sounds familiar to me as it uses a recognisable palette of jazz-fusion sounds and it's easy to spot all his influences. Bass guitars haven't been featured in mainstream popular jazz/pop/funk for quite a while so it's refreshing in that sense.

Edited by Spoombung