Why become a member? ×

This is the best portable piece of computer recording equipment money can buy. Apogee are very high end when it comes to their converter quality, and this piece of hardware works so nicely. Its 2 in 2 out, firewire powered (no plug needed) and has either two xlr, or two jack inputs, which can be used in any sequence with 2 at a time, and a left and right speaker output. Im only selling this due to buying a new macbook which doesnt have a firewire port. So I have to move to a USB interface. These are £320 new, and il let it go with all box as new for £250.

ta

Edited by mr.sibs

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='312968' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:45 PM']no slot for one, and apple dont offer it, so gotta sell really :)[/quote]

Yeh thats a real sh*t that Apple has dropped the firewire on the macbook.

I was going to get one but I'm rethinking at the moment , as I don't see why Steve Jobs can force us to buy a macbook pro at twice the price .

There is always the white macbook which still has the firewire ( crazy , go figure )

Have you'd tried taking it back to an Apple store and saying you want a refund as its not fit for purpose , you had no prior warning that firewire wouldn't be on the macbook especially as it is a standard mac feature that they designed !

Sad to hear this, good luck

Nigel not Bob!

well ten days ago i did actually buy one of the black macbooks which has a firewire, but then swapped it for the newer model as it came out purely for support reasons and i guess asthectics (it looks so much cooler) so il be keeping it, but just gotta get around this annoying firewire business, the mac is amazing in every other way, just that one downfall. there are good usb interfaces out there, motu etc, but i was pretty happy with my apogee

Does the duet have MIDI? if so I might be interested, pending the sale of some bass gear. The apogee converters are superb, even better than the AKM set I'm using for monitoring at the moment. It's a beggar that the new macbooks don't support firewire, that's the only thing stopping my upgrading. I'm happy with my white macbook for now though...

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='312893' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:24 PM']:) huh?[/quote]

If you want to get pendantic, you can include Prism, Lavry, Weiss, and the mighty Forsell, but it really depends on your interpretation of 'portable!' - because nothing I've mentioned (and i think nothing in current manufacture/reasonable price range) is smaller than 1U!!

[quote name='jamesf' post='313410' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:52 PM']If you want to get pendantic, you can include Prism, Lavry, Weiss, and the mighty Forsell, but it really depends on your interpretation of 'portable!' - because nothing I've mentioned (and i think nothing in current manufacture/reasonable price range) is smaller than 1U!![/quote]

I don’t understand what you’re getting at mate?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='313619' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:35 AM']I don’t understand what you’re getting at mate?[/quote]

Sorry, I was quite nonsensical last night. What I meant was, while it's true that there are better portable rigs, there are none better that you can fit in your pocket, and/or at this price point. By 'if you want to get pedantic', I meant 'Being pedantic', because I am most of the time when it comes to preamps and converters - looking at the post now, you may have the impression I was calling you a pedant, so my apologies, I wasn't.

I have a USB MIDI keyboard already, but I wanted actual MIDI ports for my synths, efx and other bits of MIDIable stuff I have lying around, not being controlled by MIDI :) I'm still mighty tempted by the pres and converters though, any idea if you can use the duet as an aggregate device? I remember reading somewhere that the original design concept was that you had the Ensemble in the studio, linked so beautifully into Logic as it does, and then had the Duet as an aggregate device, adding two extra channels of AD/DA, that you could remove and use as a portable, leaving the main rig intact, minus channels 13/14.

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='314179' date='Oct 24 2008, 09:51 PM']Well my friend used to connect two at a time to get the 4 channels, so i guess the answer to that would be yes, but il check further for you.
Il also swap this with a motu 828mkii usb interface or other ideas of usb interfaces?[/quote]

The 828 is a proven classic, and a great bet since the USB version is cheap for the feature set and quality. I'd look at Metric Halo as well, but can't remember what interface they use. Thanks for the info on aggregating, that's all I need to know.

[quote name='jamesf' post='314134' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:41 PM']Sorry, I was quite nonsensical last night. What I meant was, while it's true that there are better portable rigs, there are none better that you can fit in your pocket, and/or at this price point. By 'if you want to get pedantic', I meant 'Being pedantic', because I am most of the time when it comes to preamps and converters - looking at the post now, you may have the impression I was calling you a pedant, so my apologies, I wasn't.[/quote]

No worries man :) I'm not denying that this is a great bit of kit, cos it is, and it's also tiny, so the performance to size ratio is amazing. I was just calling into the question the bold statement at the start of the thread (and probably getting a bit pedantic :huh:); although there is most likely nothing out there at this size and price that's of better quality, there are other larger portable solutions on the market that are...that's another thread anyway...

Bottom line is that this is a great bit of kit that's ridiculously small and portable.

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='316711' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:54 PM']Im afraid I dont think they are, firewire is a mac thing, and I dont think pc will support the drivers[/quote]

I think it will be a drivers issue if it's not compatible, because I use a few firewire devices with my PC...

EDIT: I mean that there might be compatibility issues with the Apogee drivers if it turns out it’s not compatible with PC, not general firewire drivers, if you get what I mean (just in case I didn’t make myself clear)…

Edited by benwhiteuk