Why become a member? ×

Hi from Plonk

Plonk

Hi all, from a new member, but probably one of your more geriatric musicians. If you remember Plonk Lane, you're probably in my age range (mid-50s). He was an awful bass player, but an inventive musician in the Small Faces in the 60's....... and it seemed an appropriate handle!

Anyway, I was a pro player in the seventies and eighties, lots of session work in the US and some over here. Grew up with Bruce, Casady, Lesh. Matured with Jaco and Clarke, and still staying with it with Victor et al. I am still convinced that I was the first electric bass player to play a Bach sonata (Marquee, Wardour St, c1973, the Bourree from the C major).

Since then played most kinds of music, and recently joined a band doing old Cream stuff, Satriani, bit of blues, bit of Zeppelin, bit of Stanley Clarke. Keeps you fit and young!

I have a couple of Roger Giffin custom basses (fretted 5 String, fretless 6 string). Roger made me my first fretless in 1979, and I reckon he's still the best. This through an SWR 500watt with 1x15 plus horn and 4x10", although I may change that for a 2x12. Too bright for me.... we're supposed to be bass players!

Nice to find a place for bass players...... I found it by trying to source a score for Hello Jeff - I'll look around the topics!

Only piece of wisdom I have - learn every chord in every inversion; music theory is essential professionalism!

All Best, Plonk

• 4 months later...

Hi Plonk,
Pleased to see another Giffin fan around. I have a custom 4 string from 1987. My first item from him was a bass neck in 1982 after I played Felix Krish's at the Cricketers. Top notch craftsmanship. Well done on having the 5 & 6 as well as the fretless.

Have fun on the board, I don't contribute too much since moving to Melbourne but I do occassionally lurk (do people still use that expression?).
Cheers,
Eric.