Why become a member? ×

Finger wounded

macatack

Hi all,

I cut 1/2 cm my medium left finger slice with a cutter 6 months ago. Hopefully my nerves weren't touch.
BUT I'm right handed and now when I use this finger to press my bass string it hurt a lot just in the place I was cut.
I'm very frustrated not to be able to play. I'm beginner so my finger arent yet hard at the top, but taking a lot of pleasure to play.

So I'm looking for a technique to make the pain less important. Perhaps to have string bigger or less tighten or to put a protection on the finger....

Do you have an idea ?

THANKS A LOT in advance

PS/ sorry for my bad english

[quote name='macatack' post='310007' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:57 PM']Hi all,

I cut 1/2 cm my medium left finger slice with a cutter 6 months ago. Hopefully my nerves weren't touch.
BUT I'm right handed and now when I use this finger to press my bass string it hurt a lot just in the place I was cut.
I'm very frustrated not to be able to play. I'm beginner so my finger arent yet hard at the top, but taking a lot of pleasure to play.

So I'm looking for a technique to make the pain less important. Perhaps to have string bigger or less tighten or to put a protection on the finger....

Do you have an idea ?

THANKS A LOT in advance

PS/ sorry for my bad english[/quote]

I cut my index finger a year or so back and couldn't play. This isn't medical advice, but try putting some superglue on it, it worked wonders for me, just took the pressure off the wound and made the difference between playing and not playing.
Chris

I don't know what style of music you play but you could consider putting flats on your bass. They have a much smoother feel which may help you till you overcome the injury. Thomastik Infeld flats are very low tension too which may be an advantage. I found they feel too floppy so I changed back to roundwounds but you may find they help matters.

Edited by AndyMartin

pluss to the one with the superglue comment, after all, it was designed to hold broken soldiers guts in (as per Dog Soldiers :huh: )!

Also, I always found that putting a pad of soft tissue or medical dressing stuff on the cut, and wrapping a 1cm wide strip of gaffer tape around it to hold it in place (tight enough o grip, not tight enough to cut off circulation) helped. It usually would last the course of a hours gig before the sweat would detach the adhesive and made playing possible....

yet another use for gaffer tape!! :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='310062' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:30 PM']Also, I always found that putting a pad of soft tissue or medical dressing stuff on the cut, and wrapping a 1cm wide strip of gaffer tape around it to hold it in place (tight enough o grip, not tight enough to cut off circulation) helped. It usually would last the course of a hours gig before the sweat would detach the adhesive[/quote]

and you also have a ready-made present to throw to the girlies in the audience.

[lifts coat and finds door].

I had to have my ring and middle finger ends sewn back on last October and I found that if I put a pad of dressing over the scars and then wrapped quite tight with the waterproof fabric tape you get from the chemist it stopped them hurting when applying the pressure to push the strings down... also I went to 40's so less pressure needed. I didnt bother changing to flats as I found the fabric tape held it's own even with rotosounds on.

Oh yeah... and stop being a bloody girl about it :)

[quote name='Monz' post='310145' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:45 PM']Oh yeah... and stop being a bloody girl about it :)[/quote]

Whoa! The guy's a beginner, give him a break. Doesn't anyone remember how sore your fingers could get when you were starting out, let alone with an injury.

Macatack, protecting the area as previously suggested is good advice. Also just keeping playing as much as you can will help too. But ultimately if you're still getting pain after 6 months you may want to seek advice from a medical professional and not us as we're not qualified.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='310234' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:30 AM']Whoa! The guy's a beginner, give him a break. Doesn't anyone remember how sore your fingers could get when you were starting out, let alone with an injury.[/quote]

+1 does it hurt immediately or after a while of playing? to be honest it shouldn't still hurt after 6 months but what you might be feeling is the normal pain you get in the tips of your fingers from the strings. could be you use that finger more than the others.

[quote name='ezbass' post='310234' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:30 AM']Whoa! The guy's a beginner, give him a break. Doesn't anyone remember how sore your fingers could get when you were starting out, let alone with an injury.

Macatack, protecting the area as previously suggested is good advice. Also just keeping playing as much as you can will help too. But ultimately if you're still getting pain after 6 months you may want to seek advice from a medical professional and not us as we're not qualified.[/quote]

That was said tongue in cheek... that's why I put a :) on the end of it

If you notice I gave him sound advice from my experience before that... bloody touchy round here :huh: :huh: :huh: :unsure: :lol: :lol: :o :o :o <<<you see those?