Why become a member? ×

Building up finger stamina

T-Bay

As well as practice on techniques, eat a banana and some ready salted crisps, and drink plenty of water and some cranberry juice. All these help the body against cramp. Prepare your body against cramp before you do anything that`s likely to cause it.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1486067668' post='3229044']
My fingers were locking up a bit the other night at a gig. Luckily they loosened off between songs but i always carry a pick or two in my pocket just in case.

Btw i tend to use one of those squidgy stress balls to exercise my fingers. Then i practice a drummers exercise with my fingers - paradiddles.
[/quote]

I had the locking/cramping up thing a few times in the early days. I can't tell you if this is the reason I never get it anymore, but I always make sure I loosen up my hands a bit before playing, and warm up a bit gently while waiting to get everybod ready, and I make sure I am hydrated. It could be coincidence, but since I do that I never had issues again.

this may sound silly, but PLAY FIFA17 a lot.

I quit playing 25 years ago due to arthritic hands and fingers.

I got back into playing in 2009.

Still had the cramps. Then I got a playstation and played FIFA online. My hand would cramp after half a game and I'd really struggle to finish.

But I kept at it, playing FIFA and playing bass.

My hand strength improved gradually. Now I can play YYZ over and over without cramping and can play game after game of FIFA>

You just have to remember to stop when the pain sets in.