Why become a member? ×

Listened to a Squier VMJ last night for the first time...

Adrenochrome

:) Okay, so last night myself and my drummer went to a jam night in Harrogate. The 2 basses there were a newish 3 band Stingray with maple neck and a newish Squier VMJ. I actually preferred the sound of the Squier. Now I suspect that the the 'Ray may not have been EQ'd and/or played in a style to suit my tastes [it sounded a little flat, and was mainly being used for blues and rock'n'roll]. But the point is I thought the Squier sounded great and I noted it was very even between the strings and up and down the neck, the sort of thing that lets down some cheap basses.
It's good to know that there are some very nice sounding affordable basses available.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='308429' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:00 AM']:) Okay, so last night myself and my drummer went to a jam night in Harrogate. The 2 basses there were a newish 3 band Stingray with maple neck and a newish Squier VMJ. I actually preferred the sound of the Squier. Now I suspect that the the 'Ray may not have been EQ'd and/or played in a style to suit my tastes [it sounded a little flat, and was mainly being used for blues and rock'n'roll]. But the point is I thought the Squier sounded great and I noted it was very even between the strings and up and down the neck, the sort of thing that lets down some cheap basses.
It's good to know that there are some very nice sounding affordable basses available.[/quote]

Gotta admit a Ray isn't my bass of choice for these 2 musical genres. Now if it was 'kick ass' blues......