Why become a member? ×

dean 12

stewblack

Just been into a music shop and tried a Dean 12string. Basically 4 normal strings with two little thin strings, both an octave up, alongside each. To be honest it sounded fine, played well but didn't do much a decent octave pedal couldn't and at £800 I thought it was pricey and a one trick pony.

[quote name='stewblack' post='31736' date='Jul 14 2007, 01:12 PM']I thought it was pricey and a one trick pony.[/quote]

I say, thats a bit harsh....

:)

Dean, it seems are catering pretty much solely to the Metal end of the spectrum. Maybe thats why this seems as your quote. I'm not saying that a (for instance) Frank Belo sig P bass cannot be use for any stylee of music, but its certainly gonna be more at home with one genre as are most Deans.

Interesting arrangment tho'

[quote name='The Burpster' post='31749' date='Jul 14 2007, 01:38 PM']I say, thats a bit harsh....

:)

Dean, it seems are catering pretty much solely to the Metal end of the spectrum. Maybe thats why this seems as your quote. I'm not saying that a (for instance) Frank Belo sig P bass cannot be use for any stylee of music, but its certainly gonna be more at home with one genre as are most Deans.
Interesting arrangment tho'[/quote]

I think I expressed myself badly. There was a range of tone there and a playability that was good. I meant, once you'd heard the tone the extra strings brought to the party and gone 'Hmm that's nice' then that was pretty much it. As far as genres go the guy in the shop felt it suited jazz best! It had been tuned to a drop D so maybe there had been a bit of metal interest. For me it suited a bluesy sort of sound. Each to their own.

i think the idea is a piano like sound. I know what u mean about the metal thing but hey i'm not complaining! (6)

also [url="http://www.musicalinstrumentmegastore.co.uk/itm03379.htm"]http://www.musicalinstrumentmegastore.co.uk/itm03379.htm[/url]

oh yes, £800. Hmm...

Edited by EdwardHimself

Forget Dean and buy a Waterstone Tom Petersson 12-string. I was going to sell mine on a couple of months ago, but it's kind of gotten a new lease of life in the last few weeks. It's a great bass and yards better than those Dean models. Yards I tell you!

[url="http://www.waterstoneguitars.com"]www.waterstoneguitars.com[/url]

Cheers
P
x

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='31876' date='Jul 14 2007, 07:03 PM']Forget Dean and buy a Waterstone Tom Petersson 12-string. I was going to sell mine on a couple of months ago, but it's kind of gotten a new lease of life in the last few weeks. It's a great bass and yards better than those Dean models. Yards I tell you!

[url="http://www.waterstoneguitars.com"]www.waterstoneguitars.com[/url]

Cheers
P
x[/quote]

Oh dear, I've just had a very embarassing but not entirely unpleasent misshap in my undergarments!!!

Do they play as good as they look...?

And 32" scale model as well? that just Oooooozes MoJo!!

:wub:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='31881' date='Jul 14 2007, 07:16 PM']Oh dear, I've just had a very embarassing but not entirely unpleasent misshap in my undergarments!!!

Do they play as good as they look...?

And 32" scale model as well? that just Oooooozes MoJo!!

:wub:[/quote]
Over here with the Kleenex Burpster! Wowie Zowie that's a beauty. Don't like the 'contact us for prices' bit mind...

This is mine:

I'm waiting for a tortoiseshell scratchplate to come from the US (and it's taking a while) as mine shipped without one.

The US retail is c.$1,400 and you'd have to factor in shipping and import duties on top of that. I run this through a POD with a little bit of distortion then through the POD's lo-cut filter which lets the octaves ring and most of the regular bass string signal through. One note: it suffers horribly from neck-dive, but a decent leather strap (with an untreated underside) helped.

P

• 2 weeks later...