Why become a member? ×

Charging other bass players to use my rig when im not using it.

dave_bass5

[quote name='OldGit' post='308365' date='Oct 17 2008, 09:13 AM']Want me to tell the band for you? :)[/quote]

Thansk for the offer but its ok, ill tell them (afte ri get droppe doff home;-).

Nah, seriously they will be fine about it. It also causes the guitarist a problem when one of the bass players gets a lift. In my case its fine as i dont have the option but i know he prefers the others to take their own cars, that way he isnt squashed in the back next to the bass drum. The Ashdown will also give him a bit more room as its narrower.

I just found out last night that the other main bass player might be moving in with the drummer for a month or so. Hmmmm, thats a bit cosy as he will definitely not want to drive then.
Maybe ill get an MB F1 or Ashdown LG, they will fit in my suit bag.

[quote name='urbanx' post='308376' date='Oct 17 2008, 09:23 AM']If you're only after a £5 or so you could come to a more informal arrangement: "Let's say a couple of pints and a CD?"[/quote]

Thing is it would mount up as in three years of playing with this band none of the bass players have ever met up so i dont think that would work.
Im sure they are very grateful and will buy me a pint or two anyway if i ever see them (they have said that but that was based on the first few times i said they could use it)

The £5 was more a starting figure, that's why i posted this thread as i wasn't sure if that was a good figure. I guess it more to dissuade them from using it.

[quote name='chris_b' post='308383' date='Oct 17 2008, 09:43 AM']If they like the sound of your rig I think it's worth £10 at least.[/quote]

Yeah they do and yes, £10 is fair.

I'll speak to the band tomorrow. We are away this weekend in Devon so plenty of time to bring it up. I know the guitarist (who more or less runs the band) doesn't like the fact that they ask me, guess he is worried about upsetting me so i think i might say no to general use but £10 if it really helps them out, not just because the bassist doesn't want to drive but they can do what they want with the Ashdown (its not 100% anyway, thats why i stopped using it).

I know the other main player was very impressed when he first used my rig and did mention about getting something similar but as someone already said, why spend money when its there for free.

Personally, I think you're totally entitled to do whatever you want to do with your rig. Especially as it's not even your band.

I think hiring out the rig is a dodgy road to start down. What if it breaks mid-gig, does that make you responsible for the problems becuase you've hired out equipment that wasn't up to the job? What if something serious goes wrong with it and someone gets hurt? Are you liable?

My instincts would be to point out in as nice but firm a fashion as possible that you bought the amp for your use, in your circumstances when playing with this band and that it's not really cool for others to use the rig on any kind of regular or even semi-regular basis. You have your rig sorted for this gig, the other deps should do the same.

The only other alternative is that the band should supply the rig for all the deps (and you could sell them yours, or the Ashdown perhaps).

There's no need for it to be acrimnonius and I'm sure everyone will understand.

It's your gear, bought and paid for with your cash specifically to make your life easier. Let anyone else figure out their own solutions, it's not as though the money isn't there from the gigs.

Or they could just make you their bass player and be done with it lol

Good points Pete.
Firstly, they dont want a bass player. They pay use a set fee which then leaves more for them to split three ways. Seems to work for them ;-)

They wouldnt pay what the rigs worth. We had a bit of a crisis last month where we thought the drummers new car was too small, even for my 1210R and so they asked me if i could recomend a small combo that the band would buy for us to use. I sugested a 12L or 12+ to go with my LMII and they wouldnt entertain it. Way too expensive. Then words like "practice amp" got mentioned. I offered to buy the 12+ cab myself but as it was the cab did fit so we were fine.

Im in two minds about charging now but i think if i did i would still insist that if it breaks they pay for it.