Why become a member? ×

Red Onion True Bypass looper

Dread Bass

Ok I Just got this yesterday so after having a play i thought id tick up a review.

[b]Overview:[/b]
The reason i got this pedal was a) I was aware some of my pedals were not TB and were tone sucking :) I have had problems with my effects 3 times when ive played live so i wanted a way to bypass my pedal if something went wrong.

As it says in the title i ordered my pedal with two loops so i could separate my board into two sections. I asked for one of the loops to have a blend knob to use with fuzz to help with low end. I asked for a master bypass switch and i asked for a unpainted case. A painted case is £3 extra or something.

Ease of use:
Well its pretty easy to use, hardest part was trying to decide what to put in each loop. The pedal is clearly labeled. I had some problems positioning it on my board as both my patch cables are short (my own fault) and i am using a daisy chain (Johnny Shredfreak) to power everything and need to get some extensions for it (my own fault). The pedal is powered by a standard 9v boss connection. It does not come with a battery clip but red onion can add one if you ask.

[b]Sound Quality:[/b]
Well it has made a huge difference after playing for a while i decided with this lay out just now bass>cream pie> RO Loop 1> Ultra fuzz > mule>loop return >loop 2 > aria flanger > cheap delay > boss tuner> Loop return > opto stomp.

I chose this as i almost always have the cream pie and the compressor on so i left them out of the loops which means if anything goes wrong with them i will be a) in trouble :huh: kicking myself. I will leave loop 1 on most of the time as both the pedals are true bypass and i use them a lot. Loop2 will only be engaged when i need to use the effects as they are not TB. The only thing is with the blend at 50/50 there is avolume drop. Nothing severe but its there, however RO did tell me this when i ordered so i was aware of this.

With the edition of my new george Ls cables and this i cant quite get over the difference everything sounds fuller.

[b]relability and contruction.
[/b]
I have no concern with this box its a solid piece of kit for sure its made with good components and the leds are nice and bright. three leds all together a blue one for each of the loops and a red one for the MB. I may paint it or add a decal or something it looks a bit plain but its fine for now.

[b]Customer support
[/b]
Brilliant, TJ at red onion is great. He replies to emails fast, he dosnt rush you into a decision and helps you figure out what you need. I will be using red onion again and will recommend it to my friends. and they had the pedal built and shipped out so fast. First class.

[b]Overall[/b]

Great perfect cant complain about anything i paid £65 including shipping. For a custom box i think thats a bargain so if you are looking for a box for loops or switching check out red onion.

any question please feel free to ask.

i think i was one of the first people on here to buy a looper from red onion, i ordered a dual looper with a passive volume control on loop one about 18 months ago, twas a brilliant pedal, although my LED blew after a few months. They offered to repair for free though, so all good

Thats interesting.

You no way more than me about this kind of thing Joe but what i can say is the jacks feel solid, not cheap as do the switches and the general construction seems good. It is also silent i did not notice any noise at practice last night.

My pedal board gets abused every gig as i tend to get carried away so i will let you know how it lasts but at this point i dont have any concerns.

As you say a gigrig or lehle might be more tour worthy but there is a difference in cost

So i guess i will just have to wait and see how it lasts.

[quote name='metaltime' post='308313' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:17 AM']Thats interesting.

You no way more than me about this kind of thing Joe but what i can say is the jacks feel solid, not cheap as do the switches and the general construction seems good. It is also silent i did not notice any noise at practice last night.

My pedal board gets abused every gig as i tend to get carried away so i will let you know how it lasts but at this point i dont have any concerns.

As you say a gigrig or lehle might be more tour worthy but there is a difference in cost

So i guess i will just have to wait and see how it lasts.[/quote]

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I think they're great products, but they're maufactured to a price point. They don't do anything clever, and they do it well.

Gigrig and Lehle are [i]really[/i] expensive (out of the braket of what most people are willing to spend).