Why become a member? ×

Changing internal preamp or pickups? Or both?

fretmeister

I have a lovely Marleaux Consat Custom. It has a balanced modern sound that really suits jazz and other mellower styles. The output is quite modest, albeit very well balanced.

I'd like some more clank to get a more aggressive rocky tone. I am aware that even the "neck" pickup is quite far back and that might limit things.

It currently has some Delano pickups (don't know the model) and a Glockenklang 3 band EQ

I am undecided whether I need to just change the pickups or preamp or both.

Ideally any new pickups should be the same size so I can put it back to stock if needed. I'm quite open minded about brands. I like EMG, I like the Nordstand's I've heard. I'm happy to keep the pickups and change the preamp for a Darkglass Tone Capsule or an East or whatever of some description too.

Any advice would be welcome as the options are melting my brain.

Warwick tend to put the pickups in similar positions and they don't have a reputation for being too 'jazz' - I've used that preamp too and it's very clean it doesn't add much tonally.
Stick a more coloured preamp in there and you can add that colour to the existing pickups is where I would start.

Actually new steel strings and raising the pickups as close to the strings as I can would probably help too