Why become a member? ×

Bound fingerboards

BrunoBass

I've just acquired a new bass with a bound fingerboard. I've never played a bass with a bound fingerboard before, and despite the presence of marker dots on the binding I'm getting lost, because I can't see the ends of the frets. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this problem? My initial thought was to mark thin lines on the binding with marker pen, but I think these would soon rub off. Another idea was to scratch lines into the binding at each fret and then cover with marker pen which woukd leave a thin black line when rubbed away. However I'd rather not permanently mark the binding if at all possible. Any ideas please?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1480510633' post='3184943']
Maybe left-field, but I'd recommend practising with your eyes closed. Maybe tough at first, but it soon becomes natural, if one sticks at it. Just my tuppence-worth.
[/quote]
This^

It's tricky to get used to not looking at the frets when playing, I also used to lie on my bed/sofa with eyes closed or lights out and just do scales/practice, it pays dividends when you have to sing too cos it's nigh on impossible to sing and look at the fretboard and point your gob at the mic.

Do you mean like a white binding with the fret dots in the usual position?

I have this on my jazz. Makes seeing the dots on a dark stage easier. Never thought it would be a problem for anyone and never thought about it like this.

Each to his own and all that. Hope you get used to it