Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500 - Power rating query

radiophonic

I'm running one of these with a single 8 Ohm 2 x 10 XL cab. The amp is rated at 350 watts into 8 Ohms. My question is, if I add a second cab (another 8 Ohm XL - not sure what config yet) and connect it to the second speaker output, will the amp still be seeing 8 Ohms or is this now 4 Ohm (500 W)? IOW, are these wired in parallel. I'm assuming 'yes', but the manual is uninformative. The reason I ask is, that for reasons of portability and flexibility, I've become a fan of 2 x 10 cabs - so if I ever want to run extension cabs off each output (say 2 x 2 x 10 off each channel) and I'm right, I'd have 16 Ohm per channel but series + parallel would bring it back to 8 Ohm. Any info appreciated.

== John

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1479731124' post='3178758']
If you like your sound and just want more of it - get another of the same.
[/quote]

Well partly it's a question of more displacement. Partly it's a question of a bigger low end - of whether another 2 x 10 ( 4 x 10 overall) will give me more low end overall then adding a 1 x 15 (2 x 10 + 1 x 15). A Stingray pumped through aluminium cones, with plenty of current gives me enough bite, but I really want to fatten up the lows a little when playing loud. TBH, having heard (on many occasions) Shellac's Bob Weston playing into his usual 2 x 400 Crown mono power amps > separate 15" Dietz cabs and again into an SVT 8 x 10, I'm not sure there's that much in it once you have surplus headroom and a big propagating surface. 2 x 2 x 10 would be easier to transport, that's for sure.

yes get another xl210 and stack them vertically

this is mine

[url="https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwji7_KuwrvQAhVIUZQKHbKzCsIQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ozbassforum.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D17401&psig=AFQjCNHBapxj6DMtaF5KV9NuNWBI7b08nA&ust=1479874995712652"][/url]

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479788691' post='3179265']
yes get another xl210 and stack them vertically

this is mine
[/quote]

How stable is that? My head is a lot heavier than yours so I think I'd be risking braining the drummer! I see you're in Adelaide - where do you play out? My Wife's from Glen Osmond and we always struggle to find anything to do music-wise when we visit family.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1479735355' post='3178820']
Well partly it's a question of more displacement. Partly it's a question of a bigger low end - of whether another 2 x 10 ( 4 x 10 overall) will give me more low end overall then adding a 1 x 15 (2 x 10 + 1 x 15). A Stingray pumped through aluminium cones, with plenty of current gives me enough bite, but I really want to fatten up the lows a little when playing loud. TBH, having heard (on many occasions) Shellac's Bob Weston playing into his usual 2 x 400 Crown mono power amps > separate 15" Dietz cabs and again into an SVT 8 x 10, I'm not sure there's that much in it once you have surplus headroom and a big propagating surface. 2 x 2 x 10 would be easier to transport, that's for sure.
[/quote]

2x2x10's are going to be enough to drown out the drums, you don't need any more volume than that. Mixing a 15 in will change your sound but unpredictably, 15's don't necessarily go deeper than 10's it depends upon the model. generally when you mix speakers you lose a little of the character of both and get a 'smoothed out' sound, but as I say it is unpredictable and you'll only find out after you buy.