Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass in Series with Tone Rolled Off

thegummy

It's a good sound. It is big. It does remind me of a P... but it does not sound like a Precision.
How close do you need it to be? It's a good sound, it's fat, it'd go well for anything where a Precision would do well. But it does not have *that* Precision sound.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1478124427' post='3167017']
It's a good sound. It is big. It does remind me of a P... but it does not sound like a Precision.
How close do you need it to be? It's a good sound, it's fat, it'd go well for anything where a Precision would do well. But it does not have *that* Precision sound.
[/quote]

Appreciate the reply bud.

I agree that it does sound good and it does sound fat.

I just stuck some flats on for the first time since I installed the series switch and it sounds great!

In a way the question was to see that maybe if a lot of people were saying that once the tone's rolled back, a series J sounds just like a P it might allow me to talk myself out of buying a P.

Maybe resisting GAS is futile!

My old S1 Jazz had overwound pups and Jamerson flats and, in series with a bit of tone rolled off, got me many compliments for a 'proper bass' sound.

Not many people would say it sounds just like a Precision... only Fender marketing department said that. It heads in that direction though, but best to think of as another very useable option in your sonic arsenal.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1478129424' post='3167086']
Appreciate the reply bud.

I agree that it does sound good and it does sound fat.

I just stuck some flats on for the first time since I installed the series switch and it sounds great!

In a way the question was to see that maybe if a lot of people were saying that once the tone's rolled back, a series J sounds just like a P it might allow me to talk myself out of buying a P.

Maybe resisting GAS is futile!
[/quote]

That's cheating! You can't resist GAS. It's a rule. Didn't you know? Get that Precision. NOW! :P

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1478170195' post='3167217']
My old S1 Jazz had overwound pups and Jamerson flats and, in series with a bit of tone rolled off, got me many compliments for a 'proper bass' sound.

Not many people would say it sounds just like a Precision... only Fender marketing department said that. It heads in that direction though, but best to think of as another very useable option in your sonic arsenal.
[/quote]

This

My Road Worn JB has been modded with stacked knobs and with a series/parallel switch and it is not a P-Bass sound at all, which I think is a good thing.

You get more volume and a big humbucker sound which is cool to have on a JB IMO.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1478159929' post='3167137']
Probably; a bit like resisting The Borg I think.
[/quote]

I tried similar thinking to resist getting a Strat "coil splitting the humbuckers on my guitar will get me the sound" but yesterday I bought an American Strat lol.

I'll probably end up getting a P and punishing my wallet even more