Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner 600 hum - What to do?

GrahamT

Check the simple options first. Does it hum with no instrument plugged in and the input gain turned down to zero? Have you tried another mains lead and a different supply socket to check for suspect earthing/grounding? Beyond that, take it to a competent repair shop for testing.

The Streamliner has a few valves in the preamp, so it is possible a valve has failed.

Edited by DBerriff

I would suspect a pre amp tube first. However also any dirty jacks can sometimes cause issues (on any amp) maybe a tiny bit of contact/electrical cleaner and playing in a jack in and out a few times in all the jack sockets (with amp off!) may help.
Failing that as previously said look into the pre amp 12ax7s.

If it turns out to be a pre amp valve issue, you might simply want to replace the troublesome valve with exactly the same item.
Or as some have done, you might like to try different pre amp valves to see if you like different sounds.
This is the thread I referred to
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191375-new-valves-for-genz-streamliner-any-experience/page__st__30__p__2778083__hl__streamliner__fromsearch__1#entry2778083

There is an ex-Genz designer active over on Talkbass, and I'm sure he has mentioned at some point that they used a DC filament supply on these. If I've remembered that correctly, it would make hum less likely as a valve failure mode, since there should be no AC on them to leak into the signal. If you're a member over there it might be worth asking his advice - his name on TB is Agedhorse.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

The Streamliners are not designed for frequent valve swapping. I recall one TB member complaining about a broken valve base. He might have been heavy handed. I came to trust my GB gear in regular gigging use, and simply used them in stock configuration.

And yet here is a direct reply from Jeff Genz himself, referring to the Streamliner (personally I'm not advocating frequent changes but it would be kinda nice to try).

[i]"Hello Greg,[/i]

[i]Your experiment sounds like it is a true winner for your needs.[/i]

[i]The ability to modify to tonal characteristics of the Streamliner by swapping tubes is part of the beauty of this design.[/i]

[i]I think your choice of a 12AT7 in V1 makes perfect sense.[/i]

[i]Thank you for commenting and we appreciate you continued to play GB.[/i]

[i]Regards,[/i]

[i]Jeff"[/i]