Why become a member? ×

4-piece band + backing tracks for guitarist. Hmmmm...

solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1483814503' post='3210381']
I asked him that. He said; "Because it sounds really good."
[/quote]

A gentle explanation about each instrument needing some sonic space is in order methinks.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483818540' post='3210419']

A gentle explanation about each instrument needing some sonic space is in order methinks.
[/quote]
Or perhaps, for those couple of songs, you could have some fun playing up at the dusty end? Don't think of it so much as treading on each others' toes - more playing off of each other.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1483814503' post='3210381']
I asked him that. He said; "Because it sounds really good in isolation so I'm just assuming it'll be just as appropriate with a full band."
[/quote]

Fixed that quote for you.

I'm sure it sounds massive in his living room, filling that broad sonic space, but it's clearly not right for a band mix.

He either isn't experienced enough to grasp this without a nudge in the right direction, or he plain old doesn't give a crap. If it's the former, you can diplomatically address it and all move forward together. If it's the latter, I'd be looking for your next band!

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1483833559' post='3210554']
Or perhaps, for those couple of songs, you could have some fun playing up at the dusty end? Don't think of it so much as treading on each others' toes - more playing off of each other.
[/quote]

Well, I'm always up for a bit of artistic collaboration, but a guitarist playing through a bass amp "to thicken up the sound" while a bassist noodles melodically up the dusty end seems a bit contrary to me.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1483919877' post='3211202']
Fixed that quote for you.

I'm sure it sounds massive in his living room, filling that broad sonic space, but it's clearly not right for a band mix.

He either isn't experienced enough to grasp this without a nudge in the right direction, or he plain old doesn't give a crap. If it's the former, you can diplomatically address it and all move forward together. If it's the latter, I'd be looking for your next band!
[/quote]

He's an experienced band member, and played for many years in good function bands until 3 years ago. Since then he's been playing mainly acoustic sets on his own, using the bass combo to deepen his tone. I've pointed out to him that he has a bassist to do that now. He is struggling to stop being a one-man band.