Why become a member? ×

12' Bass Driver Recommendations *CAB BUILD PROJECT*

CalDeep

Hello fellow BC nuts.

Im just looking to see if anyone has build any bass cabs or replaced speakers and can make any recommendations!

I basically have a blank 412 cab to work with and have been looking at a variety of speakers from the usual companies.

Other than that Im open to all advice on the subject.

Cheers in advance dudes

Cal

The best allround driver as determined by the 1x12 Cab Design diary, is the Beyma SM212. However, I am not sure anyone would now need a 4x12.

I suggest you try a 2x12 initially. According to Phil Starr, the new iteration of the SM212 looks good for a sealed cab (if you are happy with the reduced ultra low end response). You are looking at an internal volume of 60 litres or even smaller. Although if you go smaller you might not fit the speakers in.

If you tell us exactly what you want, someone, maybe me, can give you even more exact advice.

The Beyma SM212 is a useful driver and gives the best Xmax performance in the price range. However for a 4x12 the Eminence beta is worth a look too, it has a nice midrange peak and in the right box would give a good punchy sound. It only escaped recommendation for our design because of the better Xmax of the Beyma which you need for a 1x12 on its own but which is less important with a 4x12.

Give us some indication of the size of your cab and we can give better advice.