Why become a member? ×

Bass terms

Annoying Twit

Hi all. Could someone please explain two bass terms I don't quite understand. What exactly does it mean when a bass sounds like "mud"? I quite like turning down the tone and getting a sound that lacks definition. I like the full tone more defined sound too. But is the former sound "mud"?

Also, what are these "dead spots" on bass necks. I'd presume that they are notes that don't ring properly. Is this true?

Mud is usually a derogatory term for a tone lacking upper midrange and treble but it's all about context - a tone that can work great in one situation could be considered horribly muddy in another.

A dead spot is a note that doesn't speak properly because the movement of the neck at that specific fret is significantly out of phase with the movement of the string, which cancels out a large portion of the sound. Often happens around the 5th fret on the G-string on a Fender. If you increase the neck stiffness or reduce the neck mass (particularly the headstock mass) then these deadspots will move higher in frequency and/or up the neck - my headless bass had a deadspot around the 14th fret on the G-string. My '87 Warwick and RIM Custom 5 have no detectable deadspots because the necks are so stiff. One way to solve this problem on a Fender is to add mass to the headstock so the potential deadspot position moves down the neck and past the nut.

Alex

[quote name='lowdown' post='302893' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:15 PM']Woody....[/quote]Could be either
a} a character in Cheers
b} a cartoon woodpecker
c} a toy cowboy
d} a film director who thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually is
e} one of these