Why become a member? ×

GB Rumour Build

Gunsfreddy2003

My 4 string Rumour is under construction by Mr Goodfellow as we speak but I am having a few problems making a decision on the fingerboard!

One of my favourite basses is the Spitfire that EBS Freak owns as I love the contrast between the black american walnut and the maple fingerboard. I am trying to replicate that on my Rumour but Mr Goodfellow advises that it may not look right because of the thru neck design of the Rumour.

Come on GB owners give me some advice and let me know how you decided on the finish for your basses!

Mark

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='302493' date='Oct 8 2008, 08:05 PM']My 4 string Rumour is under construction by Mr Goodfellow as we speak but I am having a few problems making a decision on the fingerboard!

One of my favourite basses is the Spitfire that EBS Freak owns as I love the contrast between the black american walnut and the maple fingerboard. I am trying to replicate that on my Rumour but Mr Goodfellow advises that it may not look right because of the thru neck design of the Rumour.

Come on GB owners give me some advice and let me know how you decided on the finish for your basses!

Mark[/quote]

I know what you mean. I love my Spitfires fingerboard against the walnut, although I will have to say, the Rumours do seem to suit darker necks. Have a look at my Rumour to see if you like it - that's the sort of vibe it will be taking on. Mike Brooks has a kingfisher blue finished Rumour which has a maple neck. Looks cool... but that is paired with a painted finish. It may be worth while knocking up a quick photoshop so you have some idea of what a Rumour with a maple neck looks like.

Both my basses were heavily guided by Bernie afterall he has built loads and knows what works and doesn't. I have to say, I tend to agree that the Rumour favours darker necks... the only other thing which may work is if you dont have the through neck exposed and have front and back fascias or a bolt on Rumour... but I guess thats defeating the very reasons for having a Rumour.

So, what are the specs that you have settled for in the end?

Hi,

I have seen Mike's bass and that is what made me think that it might just work having a maple fingerboard.

Bernie has mocked up some facing samples and the necks against them to try and give me an idea of what it might look like but that has not helped really! I am still struggling to make a decision on the facings too. Perhaps if I post the pics up you can give some feedback?

The bass has to show the thru neck as that is why I opted for the Rumour in the first place! Like you I have tried to listen to Bernie as you are right he has built loads and you have to take his point of view on this.

Spec so far is Rumour 4, with the G Spot and kick drum but no LED's!

Mark

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='302579' date='Oct 8 2008, 10:16 PM']I know what you mean. I love my Spitfires fingerboard against the walnut, although I will have to say, the Rumours do seem to suit darker necks. Have a look at my Rumour to see if you like it - that's the sort of vibe it will be taking on. Mike Brooks has a kingfisher blue finished Rumour which has a maple neck. Looks cool... but that is paired with a painted finish. It may be worth while knocking up a quick photoshop so you have some idea of what a Rumour with a maple neck looks like.

Both my basses were heavily guided by Bernie afterall he has built loads and knows what works and doesn't. I have to say, I tend to agree that the Rumour favours darker necks... the only other thing which may work is if you dont have the through neck exposed and have front and back fascias or a bolt on Rumour... but I guess thats defeating the very reasons for having a Rumour.

So, what are the specs that you have settled for in the end?[/quote]

Quite agree!

I have told Bernie that if mine came out like that I would be delighted! Just have a penchant for maple boards over darker ones!!

Mark

[quote name='johnnylager' post='303288' date='Oct 9 2008, 08:19 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25843&hl=gabbie"]This[/url] is the most stunning creation ever. That Spitfire is a close second though. You getting buried with that too, Russ? <Rubs hands with glee & waits...>[/quote]

Yes I know but hard to make the decision!

Thread below now has some pics of the options that I currently have.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17506&st=100"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17506&st=100[/url]

Mark

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='303322' date='Oct 9 2008, 08:56 PM']Its your bass - if you want maple have maple.[/quote]

[quote name='johnnylager' post='303288' date='Oct 9 2008, 08:19 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25843&hl=gabbie"]This[/url] is the most stunning creation ever. That Spitfire is a close second though. You getting buried with that too, Russ? <Rubs hands with glee & waits...>[/quote]

They are all being buried with me. I'm starting to think a burial at sea would be the safest way to keep you away from my coffin!