Why become a member? ×

Happy being average

Nicko

This all rather reminds me of a quote from John Stuart Mill:

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, is of a different opinion, it is only because they only know their own side of the question."

I suspect I am a foolish, dissatisfied pig, so I've clearly gone wrong somewhere :lol: .

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1475432741' post='3145877']

If I was the sort of person who set my goals high it would be for doing something a lot more important than music.
Music isn't going to save the planet, it's not going to cure cancer, it's just trivial noise at the end of the day.
[/quote]

Rhys, do you know there are a significant number if people that music is the only thing that makes them happy and brings joy into their lives?

I'm not sure music can cure cancer. I'm also not sure everyone understands the power of music.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1475412701' post='3145700']

Anthony Jackson, Matt Garrison, Michael Manring, Janek Gwizdala, Lawrence Cottle, instantly spring to mind as being players with amazing technical ability, who use it only when needed.

Personally, I'd rather have the ability and use it when required, than not have it.

I've personally always strived to be the best player and musician that I can be. Consequently I studied with some great players and teachers.I'd practice for hours and hours, maybe 30 or 40 hours a week. Then went to uni and did a music degree.

In life I'd rather set my goals high, I may not ever reach them, but I'd achieve more than if I just settled on being average. That's just me though.
[/quote]

Another good story and outlook on music in general.

Nice one!

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1475804593' post='3148909']

Rhys, do you know there are a significant number if people that music is the only thing that makes them happy and brings joy into their lives?

I'm not sure music can cure cancer. I'm also not sure everyone understands the power of music.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. I used to be one of them.

Yea, its the new obsession . You have to be better,bigger, stronger, faster, fitter, blah. blah.

No you dont. You only have to be happy and healthy. If you are happy with how and who you are, no matter how average, then you have cracked the meaning of life.. If you are not happy cos you are constantly striving to be perceived as "better" at something, so much so you cant accept or enjoy what you already have, then I am truly sorry for you.

There's all the difference in the world between wanting to be perfect and wanting to be better. I spend a lot of my working days helping young people who are crippled by perfectionism.

There's no "perfect" in music anyway. There's always better. Last Tuesday om I played by far the best basslines ever, and it has given me new confidence that I can get more better.

I'm "happy" - like over the moon - with where I am as a newbie bass player. A large part of why I'm over the moon is that I can see the road ahead to getting better.