fleabag

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1475449443' post='3146060']
Two Faital Pro's would probably out perform 4 Fanes and save some weight
[/quote]
[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1475451709' post='3146065']
Hmm...i might have to let Phil answer that one
[/quote]
[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1475457369' post='3146083']
That's not the case, as two 8PR200 have 325cc Vd, four Fane have 470cc Vd.
[/quote]

Bill is of course right. Thanks. Effectively that means the potential for deep bass from four Fanes is better than two Faitals at the expense of about three times the weight.

However better is about other things as well. Just by having two drivers vertically aligned will give you better horizontal dispersion of mid and upper frequencies as a result for most listeners the tonal balance will shift, they will sound different. Four drivers will give you more efficiency. The speakers have similar but not identical frequency responses and so there will be further tonal differences. I've only looked at the specs and not tried them so I'm reluctant to say any more than that they will sound a bit different to each other. I've just looked to see if there are any 'rivals' to the PR200's exceptional excursion figures and couldn't find anything in a quick search on Blue Arans website. I couldn't find any real rivals to the Fanes bang for the buck either. That's an awful lot of performance for the money and I know from the other Sovereign speakers I've used that reliability and construction are good.

If you want to go ahead with this and weight isn't a big issue the Fanes are a good choice for an 8" speaker. The thing is you can go on forever with speaker design and never get to build something. For the price of four Fanes and less than the Faitals you could get something like a 15" Eminence Deltalite which would give you lower bass, about 400cc Vd and lightweight. It would be an entirely different project though.

Edited by Phil Starr

Thanks chaps

Weight of 4 fanes is 11 kg so not too bad really. I wouldnt go for a 15 because it already has a 15, and having 4 x 6" markbass cabs and how much i like them, i figured i'd like to try smaller speakers in something else

Is the 55-5000hz @ -6db on the fanes anything to worry about ?

to get 55Hz out of the Fanes you'd need to have a big cab, as I said earlier you are more likely to be 10dB down, though I don't know the internal volume of the cab you will be using so I'm guessing a bit really. I think the bass is going to be a bit 'light' as i said earlier. You'd reasonably expect that from smaller drivers but I don't see it as a huge issue. Have a re-read of post #16

Yup, read it again :)

Rough measuring ( there's a weird recess at the back which i approximately accounted for very generously, so if anything, the cab dimensions are slightly bigger )

Inside meaurements taken

21.5" wide x 19.5" tall x 13" deep

2 Ports ...3.25" diameter x 5.5" deep

Looks OK. I get 89 litres tuned to 44Hz, although since my recent failures with my tuning software I'd take the latter figure with a grain of salt. The limiting factor is the size of the ports. Increasing them to 4" diameter (by 5" long, but perhaps someone would double-check) would help, if that's possible. The low end response is 15dB down at 40Hz. Excursion-limited power handling would be close to 500 watts, which is pretty good.

Edited by stevie