Why become a member? ×

Ashdown little bastard & Barefaced super compact

Kevin Dean

As Mike has already said it depends. Standard pub covers, probably do ok if you don't mind a bit of fur. It won't be pristine clean.

Hard rock/metal, I doubt it. I had an LB30 (and now have it's more sensible twin) and through a pretty sensitive 4x12 cab (Tech Soundsystems) I would have struggled with the loud stuff.

If you don't mind a bit of dirt then consider pushing the front end a little harder to get as much out of it as you can. Doesn't take much - switching from parallel to series pickup config on the dingwall i had at the time made a big difference!

And report back with your findings!

I gigged this exact rig a few times last year (well, the CTM30 but it's the same head). It's doable if you have PA support; without PA support it can work (edit - if the band isn't silly like mine sadly is!) but don't expect to fill the room with bass. It's not clean but it's very very nice. Even better is two Super Compacts ;)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1473952094' post='3134475']
Do you think this set up would be loud enough for pub gigs 80 -100 punters ? baring in mind the sensitivity of the cab & the power of valves ?
[/quote]

I'd use a CTM 100 at least, just to keep a bit of clean headroom. Which is what I'll be doing tonight ...

If you like total tube fuzz then try the LB.

I've got the little bastard... great for recording and playing at home but it's never been loud enough for me for rehearsal or gigs. (I do play in loud bands though). I've got the CTM100 and that's more than loud enough, haven't ever had it near half volume. If you can afford it, go for the CTM100... it's not light but at 19kgs it's manageable (for me anyway!)

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1473967724' post='3134638']

I'd use a CTM 100 at least, just to keep a bit of clean headroom. Which is what I'll be doing tonight ...

If you like total tube fuzz then try the LB.
[/quote]

This is spot on - for me the CTM100 is the perfect valve amp as it can do dirty without killing your ears but also has enough headroom to keep it reasonably clean too. The CTM30/LB30 is definitely not one for clean sounds much above bedroom levels.