Why become a member? ×

gone

Clarky

Here is my newest purchase - Mickeyboro's MIA Jazz, to which I have added some DiMarzio cream UltraJazz p/ups to match the scheme on my MIA P bass (which was in turn styled to look like Martyn Casey of the Bad Seed's fabulously retro, knackered P bass). These will be my two main basses with my white MIJ Sid Vicious/Ramones/Simenon P bass (see avatar) for the 'earthier' venues.

Right pair of crackers, if you ask this middle-aged man

[attachment=14451:clarky_basses_005.JPG][attachment=14452:clarky_basses_006.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='300819' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:22 PM']Here is my newest purchase - Mickeyboro's MIA Jazz, to which I have added some DiMarzio cream UltraJazz p/ups to match the scheme on my MIA P bass (which was in turn styled to look like Martyn Casey of the Bad Seed's fabulously retro, knackered P bass). These will be my two main basses with my white MIJ Sid Vicious/Ramones/Simenon P bass (see avatar) for the 'earthier' venues.

[attachment=14451:clarky_basses_005.JPG][attachment=14452:clarky_basses_006.JPG][/quote]

Nice brace Clarky
don't s'pose you've another Underwood under the bed?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='300928' date='Oct 7 2008, 12:03 AM']I f***ing love the Bad Seeds and Grinderman.
My best friend who died four years ago, loved and looked like Nick Cave.[/quote]
I love all sorts of genres of music (punk, metal, reggae, a bit of country, jazz) and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds somehow manage to combine facets of almost all of these, and often with a wonderful black humour which appeals to my darker side - I think that is why I love them so much. My all-time fave album is "Let love in" which I was put on to by Metallica when they covered 'Loverman'.

I watched the Jools collection of Nick Cave appearances a month or two back and just adored Mr Casey's beat-up P bass (which he has played for 20 years), hence the direction I have taken with these two lovelies. Martyn Casey is also a great example of 'less is more' on bass.

PS, my son went to the same school in London as Nick Cave's son - how cool is it to go to a parent-teacher evening and be queuing next to six-foot-skinny-wearing-black Nick Cave to discuss physics/French/whatever lessons with the teacher!!!!!!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='301035' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:06 AM']Funnily enough Nick said the same about you![/quote]

I doubt Mr Cave noticed me, even if I was the only (relatively) long-haired dad there, but if he had I would imagine he would recount it along the following lines (in a deep South-inflected drawl, a la 'And the ass saw the angel'):

"Beneath the billowing depths of my vitreous humours, I caught the penumbra of a vision on my scarred retina of father time, shock-haired and crawling up the walls, while my one-legged hound dog howled as though he sensed the bitter almond odours of Hades itself"

Edited by Clarky

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Clarky' post='300819' date='Oct 6 2008, 01:22 PM']Here is my newest purchase - Mickeyboro's MIA Jazz, to which I have added some DiMarzio cream UltraJazz p/ups to match the scheme on my MIA P bass (which was in turn styled to look like Martyn Casey of the Bad Seed's fabulously retro, knackered P bass). These will be my two main basses with my white MIJ Sid Vicious/Ramones/Simenon P bass (see avatar) for the 'earthier' venues.

[attachment=14451:clarky_basses_005.JPG][attachment=14452:clarky_basses_006.JPG][/quote]

Hey Clarky - What pickups do you have in that pbass, those cream colored ones?

I've always wondered which ones Martyn Casey was using.

Thanks!

[quote name='tokaisunburst' post='505635' date='Jun 4 2009, 05:49 PM']Hey Clarky - What pickups do you have in that pbass, those cream colored ones?

I've always wondered which ones Martyn Casey was using.

Thanks![/quote]
That is an old cream DiMarzio pickup of unknown age (80s/90s?) - it ended up on another bass of mine (check FS listings for Clash-alike bass) which I sold a couple of months ago. Great boomy, earthy sound. Much more powerful than Fender stock pups

PS, I subsequently sold every bass in this thread (bloody BassChat induced GAS!)

Edited by Clarky