Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH600-12 replacement?

2elliot

I've been using this head for the last few month and have to say it sounds great.

It's the later Peavey head with all the bells and whistles. I use it with everything engaged. Drive, compression pre shape etc and it spits out a wonderful clanky crunch.

As this head is getting on a bit I was wondering what else is available that could offer up a similar racket.

I'm thinking maybe an Ampeg svt pro 3 but have yet to actually try one. I did have a Ashdown evo 111 but it didn't quite have the attack. I also own an Ashdown Ctm 100 but that's way to nice for my current requirements so will be for the chop if I can find a TE replacement.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Peavey only bought Trace Elliot in 2005 so your amp is barely ten years old at most. You should get years and years of use out of it, probably decades. There are still people out there using Trace Elliot stuff from 1980s at gigs without any issues. I have 3 Trace Elliot amps made way before the Peavey purchase and they are still alive and kicking.

If you like the amp, you could just get another Trace Elliot as a back up. A good model to look up is the Trace Elliot SMX series as they also offer dual band compression and a tube/solid state blend and pre-shape options. I have one myself that I picked up for only a couple of hundred pounds and it is really nice.

The Trace Elliot Series 6 line is also really good and fairly cheap.

Cheers thodrik. I thought it was older than that. I'll keep a look out in the for sale section for another.

I understand how good the older TE gear is, I still own my 1225v which I bought new back in the early 90s. I was hoping another company would have something similar available new... just in case.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1472753978' post='3123963']
I've been using this head for the last few month and have to say it sounds great.

It's the later Peavey head with all the bells and whistles. I use it with everything engaged. Drive, compression pre shape etc and it spits out a wonderful clanky crunch.

As this head is getting on a bit I was wondering what else is available that could offer up a similar racket.

I'm thinking maybe an Ampeg svt pro 3 but have yet to actually try one. I did have a Ashdown evo 111 but it didn't quite have the attack. I also own an Ashdown Ctm 100 but that's way to nice for my current requirements so will be for the chop if I can find a TE replacement.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
[/quote]

If it ain't broke don't fix it!! Many a person on here has regretted selling an older(not that old)amp thinking something else will give them the same mojo!!

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1472753978' post='3123963']

Any recommendations?

Cheers
[/quote]

Not sure an svt 3 pro would suit tbh. There a bit tame!, they do sound good though. I fancied one for a while and tried out a few. Bought an Bugera bvp 5500, a kind of clone of the ampeg, all valve front end etc, after seeing a thread on talkbass comparing the 2 side by side and build quality etc.
The bvp 5500 does exactly the same as the 3 pro but actually does proper overdrive too and costs almost 1/5th the price of the ampeg.
There cheap enough to give a try.

I got a TE AH250SMX new in the early 90s, and it's still very much alive!
Last year I just wanted more headroom for one band in particular, and after much thought, discussion and agonising I took the plunge with a GK Fusion 550 from Bassgear. Fantastic amp with all the edginess you could want but the versatility to dial it out if you wish.
The SMX is now my 'home practice ' setup, except when I feel guilty and gig it as happily as before.
Pondering a GK MB series as a compact practice /backup head..

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1472849350' post='3124864']

Not sure an svt 3 pro would suit tbh. There a bit tame!, they do sound good though. I fancied one for a while and tried out a few. Bought an Bugera bvp 5500, a kind of clone of the ampeg, all valve front end etc, after seeing a thread on talkbass comparing the 2 side by side and build quality etc.
The bvp 5500 does exactly the same as the 3 pro but actually does proper overdrive too and costs almost 1/5th the price of the ampeg.
There cheap enough to give a try.
[/quote]

Cheers Twincam, they do look good value.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1472849999' post='3124878']
I got a TE AH250SMX new in the early 90s, and it's still very much alive!
Last year I just wanted more headroom for one band in particular, and after much thought, discussion and agonising I took the plunge with a GK Fusion 550 from Bassgear. Fantastic amp with all the edginess you could want but the versatility to dial it out if you wish.
The SMX is now my 'home practice ' setup, except when I feel guilty and gig it as happily as before.
Pondering a GK MB series as a compact practice /backup head..
[/quote]

I think the GK will be the one for me. I've just set the Gallien Krueger model up on my Zoom B3. It sounds pretty good.

Cheers