Why become a member? ×

Very short scale bass (18-22 inches)

duffer1

I've been experimenting with getting a really short scale bass using available technology but in a 'new' combination. Any one in Basschat tried similar?

History - two UK guys developed an 18 inch scale fretless bass using silicon strings in the 80's (Ashbory) and sold it to Fender who made it for 30 years under various names. They handed it back to Nigel Thornbory a few years ago and he sold them with bass ukelele strings (Aquila Thundergut?). I bought one out of curiousity but really wanted an acoustic bass......

I'm getting some sucess by combining the plastic strings with a resonator.

I was expecting to spend all winter on this project but the first prototype was playable and with some advice from a resonator guitar maker it has got louder accoustically.

Where to next?

Picolo bass is an interesting idea.

Tuning is standard EADG at the moment.

The plastic strings tend to be dead acoustically on the low end. There is plenty of vibration so they work ok through a transducer like the Ashbory bass. The resonator acts as an acoustic transducer.

I will try to take some pics of the current version, the last lot didn't come out well.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1472628736' post='3122662']
Not entirely clear how an acoustic (or semi-acoustic) ultra-shortscale bass with strings for a bass uke actually differs from a bass uke. Sounds like the same instrument to me.

What am I missing?
[/quote]

As happy Jack says - sounds like a Uke bass to me. I have a Kala Ubass (though mine is fretted). It's a great little instrument, though in truth I don't really use it as much as I'd anticipated when I bought it...

I had an Ashbory, again, bought as a curiosity which I didn't use very much. I do prefer the Kala though, as it is "acoustic" - which means you can hear it better when stitting on the sofa, just jamming along. It's not that loud when not amped up though, so you can't be heard if someone is playing acoustic guitar - it's just louder than an Ashbory

Also, I really disliked the Aguillar Thundergut strings on the Ashbory. I just didn't get on with them at all. They felt slightly better when used with the talcum powder-like substance recommended for playing these strings.... but not much. The strings that came with the Kala are lower tension again, which is a little odd, and more "rubbery" rather than "synthetic gut" type material of the Thunderguts - but the Kala strings feel infinitely better to me.

Have you any drawings / designs of your proposed instrument?

PS. The Kala is a tad pricey, but there are cheaper alternatives online lately

Cheers

Not so much uke bass as a cigar box bass.

I'm using a resonator cone in a home built box to amplify the string vibrations and give a clearer low register. The cone is set under the bridge like a National steel guitar and works like a speaker cone.

I had a uBass for a while but found it disappointing without amplification. I've always wanted something loud enough to hear without an amp.

Regarding cost for uke bass - the cheapest I've seen is someone selling a do-it-yourself kit for £40 (strings, transducer etc) based on a half sized guitar.

I'll post a pic as soon as I have the strings on, I've just finished the nut and bridge, so maybe tomorrow.

If you're interested in sub-shortscales, this is worth a read: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/sub-short-scale-talk.644956/

This one's pretty cool too:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JQHfBsyAbc[/media]

Edited by dannybuoy

Anyone tried or own one of these? Designed for kids. 24 +3/4" scale. 31" overall size. Looks great
An alternative to the Fender Flea Shell Pink Jazz maybe? ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231401900285?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1472652687' post='3122949']
Now why would you design something like this, and then only make it available as a 6-string?
[/quote]

Well, the option to take 1 or 2 strings off is always there ;)
Looks cool though, doesn't it? hmmm......

Construction is a trial and error process and it looks like I might be to the first to try this combination - it's an engineering project rather than fine art.

Having got the strings on the tension alters the action so it needs a few days to settle and then I'll reset the action and go for some sound samples