Why become a member? ×

funky cheap bass

Kev

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Hohner-Revelation-STD-Standard-Blue-Electric-Bass_W0QQitemZ170267554565QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170267554565&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A1|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Hohner-Revelatio...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

is it just me that thinks that looks awesome??! with a bit of electronics upgrading, this could be well cool i reckons

These things were designed by Alan Entwistle. I seem to remember quite a favourable review for these things in Making Music, though it has to be said I can't remember whether it was for the guitar or bass version. :)

Nice looking things I thought, and deserving of more attention than they garnered.

I'll see if I can find the review if you're interested Kev.

[quote name='Musky' post='299659' date='Oct 4 2008, 11:24 PM']These things were designed by Alan Entwistle. I seem to remember quite a favourable review for these things in Making Music, though it has to be said I can't remember whether it was for the guitar or bass version. :)

Nice looking things I thought, and deserving of more attention than they garnered.

I'll see if I can find the review if you're interested Kev.[/quote]

Bit more complicated than that - Entwistle & David White designed & built the ATX pickups on the original Hohner Revelation guitars, back in 1990. These are sometimes known as "Eurofighter" guitars - because components were sourced from all over Europe (body from Germany, neck from Czech Republic, pickups & trem from the UK, etc) and as far as I know they were assembled in Wales!

I don't think the original Hohner Revelation range actually included any basses (I don't remember ever seeing one) but the guitars were basically designed to be Ibanez-beating shred machines, with skinny necks, ultra-flat fingerboards & incomprehensible electronics.

I'm not quite sure why, but I've got one - it's only allowed out on the rare occasion that something I write requires a g*it*r solo! Here's my Rev RTX:

[attachment=14400:Rev1.jpg]

OK, OK, I'm not proud... :huh:

Anyway, the bass is a bit more tasteful & restrained! I really don't know if these bear much relation to 90s Hohners, tbh (Made In Indonesia on the back of the head) but it's a bit of a shame they're not imported to the UK any more, as far as I know. I'd certainly have a look at one.

Jon.