Why become a member? ×

Microphonic Valves

Graham's Cat

My recently acquired YBA1 has lively and microphonic EL34 Philips tubes. I've read these should be replaced or have dampeners fitted. I don't want to replace these unless really necessary. However given my lack of tube knowledge, I once again ask you lovely people. Also read Svetlana Winged-C are a good replacement tube, but there are quite a few to chose from. Opinions and advice welcomed! G

IIRC, if your power valves are going microphonic, then it's certainly time to get your amp checked out by a good amp tech.

The best EL34 valves I've used are JJ's, though "Winged C" Svetlana's get good reviews. Try looking at HotRox in Nottingham for valves as they used to be a bit cheaper than Watford Valves ([url]www.hotroxuk.com[/url]).

The downside to some valve amps is that they need to be maintained regularly, or the quality of sound and volume will drop over time (unless you find something with either fixed or cathode biased, or if it has bias points on the rear panel).

Hoiked a couple of 12ax7's out, didn't help much though I did find the noisy culprit in my Cornford in the process. Thinking now maybe the power valves are alright. The amp is generally noisy and doesn't like any pedals other than a battery powered Compulator in circuit. I've found that even PSU's for my guitar induce elements of noise in the amp. Going to have to find a decent Valve repairist! If anyone knows someone in SE Kent let me know!

The yba1 is a pretty old amp. I assume its a 70s one. Great amps and Pete Traynor in my view was a legend.
Has it been serviced recently. I have had two traynor amps a bassmate which I loved and a yba1 that I had very briefly. They were not particularly noisey amp and both could take pedals

I have rarely seen microphonic power valves, but some amps have had slightly microphonic preamp valves (12ax7) and that has actually been on purpose. In use, this has given some shimmer and an almost reverb-like feel to the amp. The amp was a guitar amp built by an expert in the field. I don't know if I'd make the same choice for a bass amp, but I wouldn't automatically assume it is bad.

One of the worst places to position a valve amplifier is on top of a bass cabinet that is going to vibrate the relatively fragile elements within the valves. Once you are confident that you have isolated and replaced any faulty valves it would be a good idea to place some shock absorbant material beneath the amp or even better place the amp somewhere other than on top of the cabinet.

Edited by Sparky Mark