Why become a member? ×

Compressor set up help.

waynepunkdude

I am buying an Alesis 3630 compressor (from here)

Now my new Ampeg doesn't have a tuner output so I have been using the effects loop output but now I have the compressor going into the rack I will need to use the effects loop thats all good and well but I don't want my tuner in the signal path because it is a Behringer need I say more?

I have posted pics of the back panels, is there a way of doing this?

Compressor

Amp

Tuner

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='crez5150' post='297275' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:04 AM']If you keep you compressor in the fx loop as you have already, you should be able to use a standard jack to jack from the Side Chain output jack on your Compressor to the input on your tuner[/quote]

And that definatly wont put the tuner through the amp?

Cheers buddy

[quote name='cheddatom' post='297312' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:55 AM']I think "side chain" is an input. You use it to trigger the compressor.

I think you need a splitter, which would be good anyway, you could use a crossover and turn your two channel comp into a 2 band compressor.[/quote]

I was thinking about a splitter but wouldn't that drop tone?

Would one of these do the trick ? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-4-STEREO-JACK-TO-2-MONO-JACKS-INSERT-Y-CABLE-LEAD-6m_W0QQitemZ180294181079QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180294181079&_trkparms=72%3A1345|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-4-STEREO-JACK-TO-2...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Edited by waynepunkdude

The side chain output is basically a send and return (a Stereo jack which incorporates output/input). The idea being that you can stick an eq unit in the chain. If you use just a standard jack to jack you can send signal from the compressor to your tuner. As you will only be sending signal it will not be coming back into your signal path.... try it!

[quote name='crez5150' post='297324' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:07 AM']The side chain output is basically a send and return (a Stereo jack which incorporates output/input). The idea being that you can stick an eq unit in the chain. If you use just a standard jack to jack you can send signal from the compressor to your tuner. As you will only be sending signal it will not be coming back into your signal path.... try it![/quote]

Hmm you sound like a man in the know I will give it a go.

I won't have the compressor till next week and whe I get it be ready for questions like what does it do? and why did I buy it? followed by who wants to buy a compressor?

Cheers guys.

From Wikipedia, which shares my understanding of a side-chain:

Side-chaining uses the signal level of another input or an equalized version of the original input to control the compression level of the original signal. For sidechains that key off of external inputs, when the external signal is stronger, the compressor acts more strongly to reduce output gain. This is used by disc jockeys to lower the music volume automatically when speaking; in this example, the DJ's microphone signal is converted to line level signal and routed to a stereo compressor's sidechain input. The music level is routed through the stereo compressor so that whenever the DJ speaks, the compressor reduces the volume of the music, a process called ducking. The sidechain of a compressor that has EQ controls can be used to reduce the volume of signals that have a strong spectral content within the frequency range of interest. Such a compressor can be used as a de-esser, reducing the level of annoying vocal sibilance in the range of 6-9 kHz. A frequency-specific compressor can be assembled from a standard compressor and an equalizer by feeding a 6-9 kHz-boosted copy of the original signal into the side-chain input of the compressor. A de-esser helps reduce high frequencies that tend to overdrive preemphasized media (such as phonograph records and FM radio). Another use of the side-chain in music production serves to maintain a loud bass track, while still keeping the bass out of the way of the drum when the drum hits.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='297346' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:27 AM']Cheers again that sounds like a plan.

Is it worth trying to use both channels?[/quote]

I think it is. Try it and see what you think! You would need something to blend the two channels together at the end of the chain. You could have one set to harsh compression, and one set to almost no compression - more punch!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='301098' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:37 AM']It needs 0.78 A would 800MA be OK?[/quote]

800mA would be ok, but i'd bet it would run a little hot as it's very close to the requirements of the compressor - 1000mA or higher would be much better. I don't recall what psu came with the Alesis originally.

When selecting a PSU, think the same way as you would with your bass rig - Headroom - more is better :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='297324' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:07 AM']The side chain output is basically a send and return (a Stereo jack which incorporates output/input). The idea being that you can stick an eq unit in the chain. If you use just a standard jack to jack you can send signal from the compressor to your tuner. As you will only be sending signal it will not be coming back into your signal path.... try it![/quote]

I'm not familiar with the 3630 comp but I guess unless it has a switch to select sidechain then the switching would be done via the jack contacts - as on a standard mixing desk insert .
In that case you would need to use a 'stereo' or more accurately TRS jack at the sending end and connect the tip to the ring to link the signal through the socket. Same as you would do to use a mixer insert as a Direct Output (eg for sending to a PC/Recording Device) and still have the signal go through the channel. Easy enough to wire up.

[quote name='rmorris' post='301777' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:24 PM']I'm not familiar with the 3630 comp but I guess unless it has a switch to select sidechain then the switching would be done via the jack contacts - as on a standard mixing desk insert .
In that case you would need to use a 'stereo' or more accurately TRS jack at the sending end and connect the tip to the ring to link the signal through the socket. Same as you would do to use a mixer insert as a Direct Output (eg for sending to a PC/Recording Device) and still have the signal go through the channel. Easy enough to wire up.[/quote]

Cheers buddy but I'll be honest I didn't understand any of that I'm starting to regret buying tbh.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='301936' date='Oct 8 2008, 09:41 AM']Cheers buddy but I'll be honest I didn't understand any of that I'm starting to regret buying tbh.[/quote]

I've been using a 3630 for the last 7 years, and I didn't understand it either. :) Do what I did Wayne-take it into a spare bedroom and plug things into things until it does what you want. :huh: It must be a resilient unit, because I haven't been able to blow it up yet. :huh: