Why become a member? ×

Critique our new website please...

Mudpup

It's very easy to obsess over these things. IMO the website should be very simple introduction to the band to give you a web presence and an easy Google way to get followers to Facebook.

A band Facebook page is the way to manage all your dynamic content.

Very quickly, without reading the comments above:

Homepage - get a head and shoulders shot of the band, or a wide shot that shows you fully.
Other pages - the text looks like it is breaking up - except on your gigs page,which is fine. Use that font and size throughout.
Gallery page - try to avoid photos with mics in front of the band's faces.
The image on the contact page isn't showing.

:)

You're welcome to critique my band's site in return! www.wizdomband.co.uk

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1467464358' post='3083867']
It's very easy to obsess over these things. IMO the website should be very simple introduction to the band to give you a web presence and an easy Google way to get followers to Facebook.

A band Facebook page is the way to manage all your dynamic content.
[/quote]

Exactly what we want - its a quick brochure really. Dont want to be having to modify it all the time, its just something to ping over to someone who has expressed some interest in us for some reason and doesn't want to delve through the litter on the faceache site
The face ache page is where all the daily stuff goes

It renders perfectly fine on apple devices. To be fair, it does look a bit thrown together in a hurry. It's a bit dull, however, it is informative. The english could do with a bit of a polish too.

If this is intended to promote the band it requires more work imo, especially to make it stand out.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1467467603' post='3083906']
Very quickly, without reading the comments above:

Homepage - get a head and shoulders shot of the band, or a wide shot that shows you fully.
Other pages - the text looks like it is breaking up - except on your gigs page,which is fine. Use that font and size throughout.
Gallery page - try to avoid photos with mics in front of the band's faces.
The image on the contact page isn't showing.

:)

You're welcome to critique my band's site in return! www.wizdomband.co.uk
[/quote]

I don't think I'm in a position to comment on your site due to my inexperience but it looks kinda dark for my taste. And don't you get all the weirdos phoning the mobile number?

The guys in the band like the arty knees home page photo, perhaps it prompts people to go to the gallery page?
The font thing seems like an issue with different browsers/systems - to be looked in to...
Gallery page, trying to show the lights off a bit and the media is limited at the moment.
There isn't an image on the contact page

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1467471128' post='3083948']
It renders perfectly fine on apple devices. To be fair, it does look a bit thrown together in a hurry. It's a bit dull, however, it is informative. The english could do with a bit of a polish too.

If this is intended to promote the band it requires more work imo, especially to make it stand out.
[/quote]

Yup done on a Mac in 75 minutes having never done anything like this before so it's a learning curve thing.

Dull? Or clean? We wanted clean

English? Anything in particular? Couldn't see any typos personally or is it just the tone?

Thx muchly

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1467469415' post='3083931']

Exactly what we want - its a quick brochure really. Dont want to be having to modify it all the time, its just something to ping over to someone who has expressed some interest in us for some reason and doesn't want to delve through the litter on the faceache site
The face ache page is where all the daily stuff goes
[/quote]

Ok in that case I'd really favour a single page site. If you haven't got a single group photo, create a montage of individual action close ups.

Set list is a bit redundant and will possibly need regular updates as you add and drop songs - we just list the most popular artists so ours reads something like "playing songs from artists like Rolling Stones/Hendrix/Led Zep" . Gives people an idea of what they're getting without being too specific. Then all fits in a one liner on the front page.

Fair enough a USP is that you play songs that depart from the usual, but maybe just list those artists "as well as". Regardless to the endless belly aching that goes on here - people like familiarity.

The problem with websites is they're often clunky and built round templates so you get drawn into using the standard base layouts and filling several pages. No one reads them. I had google analytics on our page and people look at few photos, maybe watch a video, go to the contact page and then run away.

As the contacts page only contains 4 lines that can go on the front page.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1467471615' post='3083955']
Yup done on a Mac in 75 minutes having never done anything like this before so it's a learning curve thing.

Dull? Or clean? We wanted clean ��

English? Anything in particular? Couldn't see any typos personally or is it just the tone?

Thx muchly
[/quote]

My comments were meant as a positive critique, with a view to improving your website.

Whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the language, there is a clear difference between professionally written sites and ones put together by a 'hobbyist'. Whilst your delivery is perfectly adequate, it is not punchy and doesn't achieve that of a professionally constructed site, which flows more easily and delivers on drawing in potential customers. Unless you write promotional articles regularly or professionally, it'll be difficult to achieve. You've taken the right approach by getting your site critiqued on here, which will help you tweak and polish things from the useful feedback you're already receiving.

Sometime ago, I was in a covers band for a short while. We had a marketing type company involved in putting together a professional website. This made all the difference in getting work (even though I didn't think we were that good as a band :) ).

I commend you effort in putting a site together. If it is designed to bring in work and make your band stand out, it faces some stiff competition and you'll need to have that 'je ne sais quoi'. Good luck with the whole venture though ;)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1467450878' post='3083738']

Agree with Blue, I suggested the same for our home page, when the band website was being put together. So, the band went with my suggestion, which was great but then it very rarely got updated, definitely not so great. I've since argued, that if it's not regularly updated, then it should be removed. :(
[/quote]

Agreed

Blue

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1467462432' post='3083849']

Tim, although I love playing with the band, I now mostly keep out of the PR/management and suggestion side of things and just play the bass :)
[/quote]

Me too.

Blue