Why become a member? ×

Wish I got an 800W head

modelreject

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1467037330' post='3080654']
I found that the Markbass 500w heads were louder than the 800w because the 800w version had a digital power section . I'd get another cab , But It does sound like you may be too loud ?
[/quote]It is louder because it is louder not because it it is Class D. Oh and there is no such thing as a digital power amp for audio. Class D uses PWM an analogue modulation/demodulation system.

Edited by Chienmortbb

And different voicing?
I did a gig about 10 years ago when I had a GK RB1001-II going through my 212 cab. I got this amp as it was rated higher than my MB SA450. I can honestly say I never got the heft or girth (giggady, and so fullness from that head compared to my MB head, and I swapped the head over after the first set. I wasn't any louder as far as I could tell, but the bass had a lot more presence in the mix. The GK head had a tone I found thin and raspy.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1467554969' post='3084486']
And different voicing?
[/quote]+1. All amps are voiced differently, based on the designer's preference. Gain structure tends to be more of a marketing tool. If you try Amp A and Amp B side by side with the same settings chances are you'll buy whichever is louder. I've seen amps that reach maximum output set at 5, with no increase in volume above that. Those also are the ones that get complaints that they won't go low enough.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1467550257' post='3084453']
+1. And it's probably not louder per se, the difference is likely attributable to different gain structures.
[/quote] definitely louder as I owned 3 MB heads at one point & spent hours A/B ing them The MB mrk3 & Little Rocker were a lot louder than the 800w head regardless of what you did with the EQ . Interestingly there was very little difference between the 250w mo mark & the 500w heads , based on getting the same tone . As for all the technical talk I don't have a clue , as long as it does what I've paid it to do . ;)

Okay. So had rehearsal today again. To cut a long story short. Whatever the issue was last week, it was sorted...and then some.

As far as I know, everything was hooked up properly last time and the only thing could have been position of the cab and/or eq.

I put the cab on top of an unused one to begin with, turned gain up/volume down, played until clipping light came on, rolled gain back a bit. Kept eq flat with VLE & VPF off. Turned volume up to 9 o'clock (where it stayed for the whole practice!!!). Rolled off some lows and that was it. Perfection!!...and really loud.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. The whole thing seems a bit bizarre as I can't really explain why I had to crank it up last time. The settings and positioning of the cab/amp this time shouldn't have accounted for the massive difference but that's just how it goes.

Absolutely bowled over with the sound and extra headroom I have now. Awesome, powerful setup!

Edited by modelreject

[quote name='modelreject' timestamp='1467574679' post='3084662']
Okay. So had rehearsal today again. To cut a long story short. Whatever the issue was last week, it was sorted...and then some.

As far as I know, everything was hooked up properly last time and the only thing could have been position of the cab and/or eq.

I put the cab on top of an unused one to begin with, turned gain up/volume down, played until clipping light came on, rolled gain back a bit. Kept eq flat with VLE & VPF off. Turned volume up to 9 o'clock (where it stayed for the whole practice!!!). Rolled off some lows and that was it. Perfection!!...and really loud.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. The whole thing seems a bit bizarre as I can't really explain why I had to crank it up last time. The settings and positioning of the cab/amp this time shouldn't have accounted for the massive difference but that's just how it goes.

Absolutely bowled over with the sound and extra headroom I have now. Awesome, powerful setup!
[/quote]

Great stuff. The VLE and VPL can be tone killers if used badly. I have a smidge on mine depending on the overall sound out front. Mostly I just need to give the low mid a shove to cut through.