Why become a member? ×

How good is this guitar?

Leeroy

Leeroy, I'd pass on this one. Way to expensive, although 70's lefties are harder to find, probably quite heavy and a shockingly bad 'aged' refinish. I've got a black '73 Jazz and the paint wears where the strap/arm rubs along the top back edge, pick marks between the pups and belt buckle wear at the back. The one in the picture was played obviously by someone sitting slouched who uses their elbow as anchor! Avoid unless the price comes down significantly. Nice colour though.

Whereabouts are you based Leeroy?. It would really help if we knew that. I'm curious why you have chosen an Italian based dealer. I've just been having a look on their site and it's Seventies Fender Heaven if you're into those things. They're beautiful looking basses but the prices are absolute lunacy. I Suppose those are normal for Italy. Also the quality of Fender basses and guitars really went down the toilet in the 1970s so unless you really know what you're looking at I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

I think your plan to get a cheapy first is a good idea. There are some amazingly good cheap basses around now. If you like the seventies look then Fender Squier do some excellent re-issues which would probably be much better basses than a badly relicked 1970s woofer.

Fender produced that pale blue colour on their USA standard basses a few years ago. I had a Precision in that colour, but I haven't seen one since so I guess they didn't sell that well. Try Googling it though, you may be lucky

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='Hamster' post='295911' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:40 PM']as compared with relicing, which is the practice of applying new lice to replace the old lice. :)[/quote]
:huh: :huh: :unsure:

[quote name='Monz' post='295942' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:00 PM']I chopped the ends off my middle and ring fingers left hand last October in a work accident and I have found a way round it over the last year... and yes I regulally use my little finger to "bridge" two strings you just have to find a way :huh: I had o play with just index and pinkie for 6 months, it's amazing what you can do if the drive is there

PS for those of you that are wondering, they did sew them back on but they don't feel like they used to lol[/quote]
Didn't the same thing happen to Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath? Didn't seem to hold him back any!

Here's a blue righty. Have a look on the Fender site. There's a good chance they'll do it in a lefty

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-Classic-Vibe-60s-P-bass-guitar-New-line_W0QQitemZ280272493069QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280272493069&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-Classi...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Doesn't look like Fender do that Squier in a lefty, nor a jazz bass in that colour, tis just the '60's vibe Precision'.

Best bet is Custom Shop (as expensive as a late 60's Jazz, around £2000), or a custom build from a Luthier such as Sei or Shuker in the UK.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='296380' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:41 AM']Doesn't look like Fender do that Squier in a lefty, nor a jazz bass in that colour, tis just the '60's vibe Precision'.

Best bet is Custom Shop (as expensive as a late 60's Jazz, around £2000), or a custom build from a Luthier such as Sei or Shuker in the UK.

Si[/quote]

The guitarist in my band is a lefty, and he assures me that Squier don't do left handed instruments. In fact, thinking about it, I'm not sure they've ever done lefties - though I stand to be corrected.

On the whole left hand players are pretty badly catered for.