Why become a member? ×

Tech Soundsystems 610XT

steve-soar

I have become the proud owner of a Tech Soundsystems 610 XT. This cab was originaly owned by Warwickhunt, who I beieve imported it from Germany last year. The cab was then sold to TerryK, who lives near to me and when he told me that he wanted to move it on, I bought it from him without hesitation.
“Without hesitation?” I hear you ask, well this cab is rather special. It is no longer made and was the original version of the ND 610, which was built to replace this model but to a lesser specification. The cab was part of Tech's NeoDynamic range, it uses neodynium magnets in the construction of its speakers, as opposed to conventional ferrite, the purpose of this is to decrease weight and when using multiple drivers, 6×10” speakers in this case, the result is a worthwhile reduction in its over all weight.

The weight of the cab suprises all who lift it, at 30 kgs (66 lbs) it is a true lightweight but its performance is anything but. As mentioned it comes equipped with 6×10” speakers with a total impeadence of 6 ohms, the cab can handle an impressive 2100 watts, so to get the best from this cab you will need a lot of power. It also has an adjustable tweeter which is quite different to others in that it has settings for its operation, as oppossed to a volume control, let me explain. There are Hard Attack and Soft Attack settings and an off position. In Soft Attack, there are high, mid and low settings, in Hard Attack, there are high and mid settings all of these settings are accessed by a knob which is found on a control plate, which also includes two Speakon input and output sockets and a 1/4” jack socket which can accept a footswitch which can be used to switch the tweeter off completely. The difference between the tweeter settings is staggering, ranging from super-agressive slap tones in High Hard Attack, to mellow Dub tones when the tweeter is turned off.

The cab is quite tall 41” and here is where the cab is let down, not by its height but by the placement of its side handles. They are 18 1/2” from the top of the cab making it quite difficult to pick up as your arms are almost fully stretched out when trying to pick it up. With the side handles there is also a recessed bar at the back of the cab with which to tilt it back on its excellent and sturdy rollers, this feature is called tilt and roll. The cab is finished in a dark grey carpet which is expertly applied, metal corners match the chrome detail on the perforated steel protective grill which has a very stylish curved profile, which is supported with a brace, the effect is one of elegance on such a tall, slim cab. The speakers are arranged in offset pairs, with the left speaker dropped to the centre of the right speakers cone, this reduces the overall width of the cab and with the tweeter in the top left corner and a large port in the bottom right corner finishes the stunning design of a cab that not only sounds amazing but is designed and built to without compromise.

Specifications, 6×10” Neodynium speakers, Adjustable tweeter with footswitch option, Recessd side handles with “Tilt and Go” function, Power handling 2100 watts, Impeadence 6 ohms, 40 1/2” H x 21” W x 16 1/2” D, Weight 30 kgs (66 lbs), Made in Germany, RRP 1680 Euros.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='295576' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:16 PM']I have become the proud owner of a Tech Soundsystems 610 XT. This cab was originaly owned by Warwickhunt, who I beieve imported it from Germany last year. The cab was then sold to TerryK, who lives near to me and when he told me that he wanted to move it on, I bought it from him without hesitation.
“Without hesitation?” I hear you ask, well this cab is rather special. It is no longer made and was the original version of the ND 610, which was built to replace this model but to a lesser specification. The cab was part of Tech's NeoDynamic range, it uses neodynium magnets in the construction of its speakers, as opposed to conventional ferrite, the purpose of this is to decrease weight and when using multiple drivers, 6×10” speakers in this case, the result is a worthwhile reduction in its over all weight.

The weight of the cab suprises all who lift it, at 30 kgs (66 lbs) it is a true lightweight but its performance is anything but. As mentioned it comes equipped with 6×10” speakers with a total impeadence of 6 ohms, the cab can handle an impressive 2100 watts, so to get the best from this cab you will need a lot of power. It also has an adjustable tweeter which is quite different to others in that it has settings for its operation, as oppossed to a volume control, let me explain. There are Hard Attack and Soft Attack settings and an off position. In Soft Attack, there are high, mid and low settings, in Hard Attack, there are high and mid settings all of these settings are accessed by a knob which is found on a control plate, which also includes two Speakon input and output sockets and a 1/4” jack socket which can accept a footswitch which can be used to switch the tweeter off completely. The difference between the tweeter settings is staggering, ranging from super-agressive slap tones in High Hard Attack, to mellow Dub tones when the tweeter is turned off.

The cab is quite tall 41” and here is where the cab is let down, not by its height but by the placement of its side handles. They are 18 1/2” from the top of the cab making it quite difficult to pick up as your arms are almost fully stretched out when trying to pick it up. With the side handles there is also a recessed bar at the back of the cab with which to tilt it back on its excellent and sturdy rollers, this feature is called tilt and roll. The cab is finished in a dark grey carpet which is expertly applied, metal corners match the chrome detail on the perforated steel protective grill which has a very stylish curved profile, which is supported with a brace, the effect is one of elegance on such a tall, slim cab. The speakers are arranged in offset pairs, with the left speaker dropped to the centre of the right speakers cone, this reduces the overall width of the cab and with the tweeter in the top left corner and a large port in the bottom right corner finishes the stunning design of a cab that not only sounds amazing but is designed and built to without compromise.

Specifications, 6×10” Neodynium speakers, Adjustable tweeter with footswitch option, Recessd side handles with “Tilt and Go” function, Power handling 2100 watts, Impeadence 6 ohms, 40 1/2” H x 21” W x 16 1/2” D, Weight 30 kgs (66 lbs), Made in Germany, RRP 1680 Euros.[/quote]

need pictures! :)

Let's put it this way, when Owen came to collect the Berg on Saturday morning, I was feeling sick and having second thoughts. I had the Tech here already as Terry left it for me to try and to be honest, I felt the Berg had a richer sound but after messing about with the eq on my preamp for a while, I could find a compromise.

The Berg is easily the best sounding amp-cab I have ever heard but it wasn't flexible enough for me, you can't add another cab so it had a limited amount of available volume.

I come from the school of "Quiet Bass Sucks" and when my guitarist turned up to gig levels the Berg struggled, don't get me wrong, it is dead loud but 3x10"'s don't cut it in a rock setting IMHO.
So when Terry said he was getting rid of this and his Aguilar DB680 I knew that I had to buy them, add one good power amp and away you go.
The result is a stupidly loud and light set up, I still don't believe how little the cab weighs.

I'm running the Crown that I had flat out and the cab still could take much, much more.

Having said that, Terry brought his Genz-Benz Suttle 6.0 to try throught the cab....what a crazy little amp that is, it's a miniature monster (Believe the Hype :) ).

As the original owner of the cab I can concur that this cab can go stupid loud and is [b]easily[/b] the lightest 6x10 cab available (that I am aware of). I'll never forget the look of fellow BCer 'JPJ', when I turned up at his and lifted this out of the back of my car with 1 hand... you did hear that right; a 6x10 that can be lifted with 1 hand (though you'd not carry it thus balanced for very far). I agree the handles aren't the greatest but I do think that the fact that the drivers are offset means that you can walk through doorways and not scrape your knuckles, I've known 2x10s heavier and harder to maneuver through doors than this.

The intriguing thing with this cab is that it sounds fatter/fuller the more watts that get pushed through it. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='296804' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:21 PM']As the original owner of the cab I can concur that this cab can go stupid loud and is [b]easily[/b] the lightest 6x10 cab available (that I am aware of). I'll never forget the look of fellow BCer 'JPJ', when I turned up at his and lifted this out of the back of my car with 1 hand... you did hear that right; a 6x10 that can be lifted with 1 hand (though you'd not carry it thus balanced for very far). I agree the handles aren't the greatest but I do think that the fact that the drivers are offset means that you can walk through doorways and not scrape your knuckles, I've known 2x10s heavier and harder to maneuver through doors than this.

The intriguing thing with this cab is that it sounds fatter/fuller the more watts that get pushed through it. :huh:

[/quote]Hi John, that's the pic that started it all. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='296804' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:21 PM']The intriguing thing with this cab is that it sounds fatter/fuller the more watts that get pushed through it. :)[/quote]

The curious thing is that most cabs should sound fatter/fuller the more watts that get pushed through them because when you turn things up the frequency response of the human ear gets better in the lows so it sounds like you're not just turning up the volume but also boosting the lows.

The reason many cabs don't act like this is because their low frequency power handling is so poxy that they start compressing/distorting in the bottom before you've got them up to a loud volume so the frequency response tilts more towards the mids and highs as you increase the volume.

The reason this cab doesn't act like this is because it is big and has six nice 10" woofers sharing the load so by the time it starts compressing/distorting in the bottom it's so damn loud that your ears are giving up!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='299536' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:50 PM']The curious thing is that most cabs should sound fatter/fuller the more watts that get pushed through them because when you turn things up the frequency response of the human ear gets better in the lows so it sounds like you're not just turning up the volume but also boosting the lows.

The reason many cabs don't act like this is because their low frequency power handling is so poxy that they start compressing/distorting in the bottom before you've got them up to a loud volume so the frequency response tilts more towards the mids and highs as you increase the volume.

The reason this cab doesn't act like this is because it is big and has six nice 10" woofers sharing the load so by the time it starts compressing/distorting in the bottom it's so damn loud that your ears are giving up!

Alex[/quote]

Ah... I knew there'd be a reason :)

• 2 years later...