Why become a member? ×

Volume pedal with presets?

JoeEvans

Is there such a thing as a volume pedal with presets? I want to be able to switch between two preset volume levels instantly and accurately, rather than adjusting my volume gradually and by ear. It's for switching between arco and pizzicato on a double bass - arco is a lot louder, but often I want to use it in places where I would like to be the same volume or quieter than my pizzicato volume.

Source Audio programmable EQ can be useful for this if you need multiple presets.

Or how about a simple boost pedal, so you only need one preset, i.e. on or off? There is an EHX Signal Pad pedal which does the opposite and reduces the volume too.

Edited by dannybuoy

For arco/pizz changes I found using a volume pedal more natural, especially as sometimes it happened during quiet sections where th click of a pedal was a bit noticeable. Something like a Boss LS-2 pedal might be a better choice as the input is the right impedance for a piezo pickup and the switching is silent.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1465135348' post='3065510']
For arco/pizz changes I found using a volume pedal more natural, especially as sometimes it happened during quiet sections where th click of a pedal was a bit noticeable. Something like a Boss LS-2 pedal might be a better choice as the input is the right impedance for a piezo pickup and the switching is silent.
[/quote]

I second this comment. All the EHX pedals (old and new) I have ever owned do have a noticeable 'clunk' when dis/engaged. LS2 seems ideal for what you are after as far as I can tell.

Clunk isn't good but LS2 looks interesting... Am I right in thinking that I could use A<>B mode to switch between the two loops, and just create empty loops by plugging the outs into the ins with short patch cables? That would give me my ideal pedal, which is a straight switch between two independently adjustable levels.
I use a piezo pickup into a preamp, so presumably this would be best placed between the preamp and the amp?