Why become a member? ×

it's alive!

Paul_C

It was built as a test/show bass, with multiple pickups to give potential customers more variety to try out.

It's had cutaways added front and rear and the neck thinned since I first built it, and I've changed the original BareKnuckles for Basslines to see what they sound like.

It had passive circuitry originally too, but after a chat with John regarding dealing with the number of pickups, I decided to add a U Retro to the mix. The first pot is a typical U/J Retro vol/balance control which blends the J pickups and the P pickup, the second single pot is a blend for the two J pickups and the other two are the usual U Retro tone controls.

It's only 7 1/2 lbs, which is good, but the oil finish on the soft swamp ash body makes it a little fragile (I've already marked it !)

I'm probably going to make a small matte black scratchplate to save further marking to the finish.

Next time I strip it down I may paint it for a bit of extra protection, we'll see how the oil finish fares :)

Gigging tonight, so I might take it along for a change from the Bongos I usually use.

• 1 month later...