Why become a member? ×

Fender American Design Experience??

Dolando

Just noticed that it's been updated now!

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/

They've took a lot of options out though - No block & bound necks, vintage style bridges and case type from a quick glance.
But still, it's a lot more options than the standard American range currently offer me and my fellow lefties! :)

Yea, I saw that yesterday. A little gutted to be honest as I was looking one with blocks etc, but thought I'd wait to see what more options they come up with...I didn't think they would remove options.

The actual builder itself is also not as good and the bass doesn't look real and make you want to order one!

The whole thing is a disaster. The website is broken, the options are non-existent, it's laughably weak. It's actually staggeringly weak, I find it difficult to comprehend how p!ss poor this actually is. It's like it was farted out of the brain of a stoned 1st year uni student.

I got as far as clicking on the picture of the jazz bass, at which point it told me 'no results'.

It's possible it's a browser/compatability problem at my end, otherwise they should never have taken the site live when even a cursory check would have shown it's not working.

Edited by Cato

On my mobile at least, it just redirects to the UK site which does not feature the mod shop. If I use a free VPN like hidemyass.com I can browse it fine.

Is it just me or you no longer able to select a P with a J neck like you used to be able to in the ADE? That was one of the best things about it.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1466245361' post='3074368']
On my mobile at least, it just redirects to the UK site which does not feature the mod shop. If I use a free VPN like hidemyass.com I can browse it fine.

Is it just me or you no longer able to select a P with a J neck like you used to be able to in the ADE? That was one of the best things about it.
[/quote]

Nope, no longer a possibility. I had a chat with a sales rep, they took away most options that could be considered 'interesting' or 'useful' in order to speed up order times. So now you can pick from stuff that makes zero difference to anything, and have it made it in a month, wohoo. It's basically a body color shop, not a mod shop. Colour - as far as I know - is the least interesting part of the whole 'design your own' thing. Don't get the thinking behind this at all. You can buy this thing a bit faster than before, but you would actually have to be a mug of monumental proportions to pay this much extra extra for a totally standard bass with a slightly different color. I totally got the design experience, I was ready to throw money at it but this is just pointless.

Ah well. Back to eBay for parts..

They'd sell a lot more basses if they did limited runs of special colours and changed the colour say every 3 months. Right now your options for a US Standard are black, white, or sunburst. BORING. A lot of people would jump at the chance if there were limited runs of capri orange, shell pink, sienna burst, etc.

I agree, they've made something that was really cool and custom in to as you say, basically picking the colour and what fingerboard you want. In hind sight I should have ordered one, but thought there may be other options like vintage amber tints etc.

For that I've sacked off the fender bass and started looking at putting another Warmoth together. I'd say better quality, way more options and will end up cheaper to be honest, even with import duty.

Looking at something like this;

[url="http://s917.photobucket.com/user/DolanCustomGuitars/media/Bass%20Mock%20up_zpsfoy6qlbq.jpg.html"][/url]