Why become a member? ×

String choice for a bass with a graphite neck

Many moons ago I bought a Status Empathy 4 string which instantly became my #1 and remained so for many years. It really is a fantastic bass and is the only I've owned that I can rely on being in tune straight out of the case. I then went through a Stingray phase and moved from them to Fender Jazzes and so on.

I recently broke the Empathy out of storage for old times sake and although, as usual, it was still in tune, the strings are deader than Speckled Jim.

I can't honestly remember what strings are on it. The last time I re-strung it was way before I started leaving the string packet in the case to give me a clue!

So, is there a particular string that works better with graphite necks or would I be better with going with what I currently use on my other basses which are either Dunlop Super Brights or Rotosound Swing Bass strings. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463614115' post='3052898']
I currently use on my other basses which are either Dunlop Super Brights or Rotosound Swing Bass strings.
[/quote]

I too used to use Rotosound Swing Bass strings until I noticed that my frets were being eaten by them - apparently they have a bit of reputation for this. I wouldn't put them anywhere near any of my current basses.

I've recently got my status back from Rob who was fixing a problem with the active circuit , he was able to tell me exactly what my bass was born to use, Those happen to be status hot wire Half wounds in 45-105.

May I suggest a quick call to status with your serial number might allow you to quickly order a set .

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1463639646' post='3052934']
I too used to use Rotosound Swing Bass strings until I noticed that my frets were being eaten by them - apparently they have a bit of reputation for this. I wouldn't put them anywhere near any of my current basses.
[/quote]
Is that the same for most roundwounds or is it Roto's that have that rep? I've not heard that before, but I'm really not well informed in that area.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463646738' post='3052999']

Is that the same for most roundwounds or is it Roto's that have that rep? I've not heard that before, but I'm really not well informed in that area.
[/quote]

Rotosound roundwounds are are particularly abrasive apparently.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1463658534' post='3053135']
Rotosound roundwounds are are particularly abrasive apparently.
[/quote]
OK cool. Might explain why Geddy has been through a few frets and at least one neck on his beloved Jazz :-)
Of late I have been using Super Brights more often, so maybe I'll stick with those on my jazz at least.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463648602' post='3053020']
I always used nickel wound strings on my Zons & my Bogart as I found the more mellow tone helped to counteract some of the brightness that is inherent in carbon fibre necked basses.
[/quote]
Ah, but I quite like the brightness so probably wouldn't want to mellow that out myself.