Why become a member? ×

Cheltenham Jazz Festival last night.

bubinga5

Went to see the Brand New Heavies, Rita Satch and Tony Momrelle. Easily by a mile the best i saw was Tony Momrelle. Its possibly one of the best people/bands I've ever seen live. Quite astounding. the legend Julian Crampton was on bass. Tony Remy on guitar. I was sat with my sister in the Big Top and our mouths were agape when he sang on his own. sorry i couldn't find any footage of last night. Same band though. Anyone notice Paul Turner in the front at 2.12 he he.

Ive to to say Julian Crampton is such a fantastic bass player. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIljJ-JTWkQ[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1462203461' post='3041061']
one of my best friends and colleagues at my venue doing FOH for Tony Momrelle at Cheltnam be interested to know your thoughts on the mix :)
[/quote]I thought Julians bass could have been more out punchy, but I'm bias. but its such a huge tent. me and my sister were sat off to there right. trying to pin down certain acoustics in that size a venue, is like trying to find a hamster in woodnorton. apart from that, the engineers are so used to mixing for great artists. Last year was Marcus Miller. he wouldn't put up with a bad mix imo. obviously rehearsals in that space, he would have picked up on any bad sounds. WTF do i know about room acoustics. not a lot. but my ears tell me there is too much air for the noise to flow around.

Edited by bubinga5

actually Marcus uses his own engineer not the festivals as does Tony Momrelle they don't rehearse in the space before the gig (its not practical in reality they don't even get a soundcheck in a festival situation)

to be honest the artists on stage have absolutely no control over the mix thats why they bring their own engineers with them people they trust to mix the gig well rather than the in house engineer who's seen a lot of different artists over a few days

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1462207920' post='3041120']
actually Marcus uses his own engineer not the festivals as does Tony Momrelle they don't rehearse in the space before the gig (its not practical in reality they don't even get a soundcheck in a festival situation)

to be honest the artists on stage have absolutely no control over the mix thats why they bring their own engineers with them people they trust to mix the gig well rather than the in house engineer who's seen a lot of different artists over a few days
[/quote]Like i said WTF do i know I'm just a bass player :blush:

I was there too - and it was a fantastic gig. Tony Momrelle smashed it (as the young folks say), and the whole band were excellent. The song that Tony did with just piano accompaniment was an absolute show-stopper. I took my 15 year old son, who hasn't been to many gigs yet, and now he has extremely high expectations!

We were sat in the raised seats just behind the sound desk, centre right. The sound was great, although once or twice I thought Tony's voice had a smidge more reverb on it than it needed - although this may have been to do with the venue. I would also have taken the snare down a little, but that's just personal preference.

[quote name='bornagainbass65' timestamp='1462222501' post='3041305']
I was there too - and it was a fantastic gig. Tony Momrelle smashed it (as the young folks say), and the whole band were excellent. The song that Tony did with just piano accompaniment was an absolute show-stopper. I took my 15 year old son, who hasn't been to many gigs yet, and now he has extremely high expectations!

We were sat in the raised seats just behind the sound desk, centre right. The sound was great, although once or twice I thought Tony's voice had a smidge more reverb on it than it needed - although this may have been to do with the venue. I would also have taken the snare down a little, but that's just personal preference.
[/quote]

thanks to be honest I'm not sure if he cares but it entertains me to see what other people think :D I'll put this out there now he is as well as a badass engeineer ......... a drummer too

• 2 weeks later...