Why become a member? ×

Does class T have heft?

Twincam

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1461361734' post='3034128']
It isn't, it's down to current delivery.
[/quote]

Without wishing to appear pedantic, doesn't the current comes from the mains supply via the transformer?

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1461521381' post='3035378'] Without wishing to appear pedantic, doesn't the current comes from the mains supply via the transformer? [/quote]Only if an amp has a transformer in the power supply. Most switch mode power supplies don't use transformers at all.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1461361734' post='3034128']
It isn't, it's down to current delivery. A powerful SMPS will far outperform a less potent transformer+smoothing caps supply. Big bass notes need high current and sustained high voltage without sag for much longer than most Class D modules are designed for.
[/quote]Not quite true Alex. Most class D amplifiers are designed for high power in a compact footprint. However adding more heatsinking or fans allows you to achieve the full performance. Take for example the TH500. On its own, the ICEPower module used by Aguilar, rated at 500W, would probably only achieve 25% of that. However Aguilar add two fans and this allows the module to give everything. For home use the heat management is fine. For professional use you need more heat management. Once heat management is correct then the limiting factor is the power supply.

So if you see a 1000W amp in a box the size of a small box of chocolates, walk away. If you have an old SVT, you can't walk away.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1461571771' post='3035653'] Most switch mode power supplies don't use transformers at all.
[/quote]

I was under the impression that a typical SMPS does use a transformer for isolation purposes, but that they can be very much smaller due to the high frequency they operate at.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1461572503' post='3035660']
I was under the impression that a typical SMPS does use a transformer for isolation purposes, but that they can be very much smaller due to the high frequency they operate at.
[/quote]Some do, some don't but the main point is that in SMPS any transformer is post rectification whereas on a linear supply the TX is the thing connected to the mains, with rectification coming after.

However you are correct about the size and frequency. As frequency goes up, size goes down. This also applies to US equipment running on 60Hz. A 60 Hz transformer will be less efficient when run at 50Hz.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I don't know, maybe I'm just really easy to please, I use what could be classed as a fairly average amp (Promethean 2x10), at least in comparison to the likes of Aguilar or Glockenklang, it's Class D, doesn't have tricked out long excursion speakers, but I've never ever thought, "hmmmm... I think I need to invest in something better.." I'm quite often surprised at just how good it sounds. Granted, I don't do stadiums. But if I did then the amount of h**t (can't bring myself to say it!) it had or didn't have wouldn't make a jot of difference!