Why become a member? ×

Derek Forbes ...

noelk27

I was lucky enough to see Simple Minds at Mainstreet in Auckland 2 nights in a row at the time New Gold Dream was released. The whole band was great, but Forbes was superb. I totally went off them when he left, not specifically because of that, but because the whole style changed for me. Sons and Fascination is another great album. Another band I loved from that time was Japan - similarly expressive bass playing.

Derek Forbes is my favourite bass player and has been my biggest influence when learning to play and still is. He does still have all his old Simple Minds gear, the beaten up Ampeg rig and red Fender Precision. I saw him play back in March in a tiny pub in Southampton playing in a Clash tribute band with Mike Peters of The Alarm. The venue was so small, I was standing right next to him so got a full on view of his playing. I've got his email somewhere and keep meaning to send him a message but not really sure what I want to say.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='626680' date='Oct 15 2009, 09:22 AM']Derek Forbes is my favourite bass player and has been my biggest influence when learning to play and still is. He does still have all his old Simple Minds gear, the beaten up Ampeg rig and red Fender Jazz. I saw him play back in March in a tiny pub in Southampton playing in a Clash tribute band with Mike Peters of The Alarm. The venue was so small, I was standing right next to him so got a full on view of his playing. I've got his email somewhere and keep meaning to send him a message but not really sure what I want to say.

[/quote]

Mike Peters is carrying a bit of timber these days :)

Derek Forbes = Legend

The first SM albums are brilliant...all good till the god awful pub rock 'Street Fighting Years' came out.

Latest album is a return to form-ish though

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

• 2 months later...

[quote name='BassEditor' post='694084' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:51 AM']How did he achieve his sound? Was he using a flanger or a phaser with that sienna burst P Bass?[/quote]

He answers that question [url="http://afewgoodmen.myfreeforum.org/about250.html&highlight=pedal"]here[/url]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A swift google comes up with a page where Forbes says he got sacked for womanising.

[url="http://www.simpleminds.org/sm/news/n2001/rint1.htm"]http://www.simpleminds.org/sm/news/n2001/rint1.htm[/url]

All sounds pretty bland in the general way of rock'n'roll. Is there some deeper, darker seekrit?

[quote name='karma' post='850050' date='May 28 2010, 08:55 AM']......They were probably right to sack him or their whole future from Live Aid onwards would have been at risk.[/quote]

And look like at what they became after he was gone! :)

There are various differing rumours & reasons on why he was sacked on the internet....

• 4 months later...

[quote name='bassatnight' post='302798' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:14 AM']He also told me he has all the equipment from his minds days.[/quote]

Not quite. I have one of his picks....somewhere. I can't find the bloody thing.

Derek is probably the sole reason I play bass. Back in my late teens, I was a big Simple Minds fan and I was listening to New Gold Dream and other early Minds albums, but it was New Gold Dream and Derek's basslines that really turned me on to the bass. All the work he did with the band was brilliant. I never got to see him play with Simple Minds as he departed in '85 when I was only 15, but I did see him play in a band called The Flys in swindon in the 90's. I can't remember the exact year and I can find no record of this anywhere, but it definitely happened I swear! I wasn't that pissed! I bought a band t-shirt at the gig too.

Anyway, I met him afterwards (and Brian McGee who was also in the band) and they signed my Chelsea Girl 7" and chatted about Simple Minds and even his stint in Propaganda. Derek told me that he used to play guitar and that he was better than Charlie (Burchill). He said that Propaganda sampled his bass for some of the Secret Wish tracks but he played live with them on stage. Before I left, he gave me a pick and told me it was a Simple Minds pick (nothing special about it, just that he'd used it in his Minds days). It was gold in colour and looked a little bit like these [url="http://www.musiccorner.co.uk/Guitar-Shop-Plectrums-Picking-and-Nails/c4941_226/p48275/10-Herdim-Yellow-Nylon-Picks-Thin/product_info.html"]http://www.musiccorner.co.uk/Guitar-Shop-P...oduct_info.html[/url] but I'm not sure if it's the same. I used it myself rather than tucking inside the Chelsea Girl sleeve or something. It was a great pick as picks go and I haven't seen one like it since. Now I can't find mine anywhere!

Great bassist is Derek. Top man.