Why become a member? ×

Stingray buying advice

Jimbogubson

Hi folks, I'm scouting around for a usa Musicman stingray 4 string at the moment and I'm noticing some variations on them that I'm not sure wether they are different models or not. i.e 2eq, 3eq, plain necks and flamey/birds eye necks and slightly different bridges. Prices seem to be quite varied too. Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me. I've recently moved over from 6 string geetars so my knowledge of basses is fairly basic.
I do have in my possession, my Bro in laws stingray from 93 which has 2 eq, a nice birds eye neck and the felt muting pads on the bridge, so this has given me a good idea of how things should look and feel.
Any advice is greatly welcomed!

Kettle on, biscuits at the ready and settled down to watch........

This'll get you started -
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/279437-stingray-4-2eq-or-3eq/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/278434-calling-all-mm-players/page__fromsearch__1

And heres a great bass at a great price -
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282007-musicman-stingray-2eq-1992-honey-burst-w-case/"]http://basschat.co.u...y-burst-w-case/[/url]

:-)

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Jimbogubson' timestamp='1459285429' post='3015205']
I'm onto that already! Cheers for the heads up.
[/quote]

No worries - theres quite a difference in sound between the 2eq and 3eq models. You can sort of get a 3eq sound out of a 2eq but not the other way around.

In one of those links above theres a comment linking to a rosewood versus maple neck sound test that Lozz did a while back - if you look closely you'll see that its actually a 2eq versus 3eq test too and shows the difference in sound off quite well. i think the difference is much less to do with the neck and more to do with the eq.

If you're local you're welcome to come and have a tinkle with mine :-)

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Jimbogubson' timestamp='1459285296' post='3015203']
Cheers mudpup, it's all there really isn't it!
So going by what I've just skimmed through, my brother in laws stingray is a classic. 2 eq, figured neck etc.
Enjoy your bickies!
[/quote]

If it's a 93 it won't be a Stingray Classic, they are a much more recent addition to the range.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459287022' post='3015229']

If it's a 93 it won't be a Stingray Classic, they are a much more recent addition to the range.
[/quote]

Is it a pre classic classic! Definitely 93 though. He bought it new and keeps the receipt in the case. Was there just one standard spec around this era apart from the eq?

[quote name='Jimbogubson' timestamp='1459288331' post='3015246']
Is it a pre classic classic! Definitely 93 though. He bought it new and keeps the receipt in the case. Was there just one standard spec around this era apart from the eq?
[/quote]

I'm no expert on Musicman stuff, but I believe the Classic range was introduced a few years back and was meant to be a recreation of the earlier, pre Ernie Ball basses, and also a new 5 string model with the same characteristics as the four string.
So your 93 will indeed have some of the features that the Classic range has, but it isn't a classic.

I'm sure one of the forums many Stingray fanatics will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong.....

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Jimbogubson' timestamp='1459287038' post='3015230']
Fingers crossed I'll be having a tinkle on that sunburst one if I don't get pipped to the post. It's only a 30 min drive from me too!!!!
I'll buy you a packet of biscuits of your choice if it all works out!
[/quote]

Rather partial to jaffa cakes :-)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459288977' post='3015254']

I'm no expert on Musicman stuff, but I believe the Classic range was introduced a few years back and was meant to be a recreation of the earlier, pre Ernie Ball basses, and also a new 5 string model with the same characteristics as the four string.
So your 93 will indeed have some of the features that the Classic range has, but it isn't a classic.

I'm sure one of the forums many Stingray fanatics will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong.....
[/quote]

You're nearly right!! The Classic series was introduced in 2010, and is a combination of the features of an early 90s bass (figured maple neck; 6 bolt neck joint; long bridge with mute system; wheel truss rod adjuster), with pre EB features like slab, non contoured body and strings through body. There are other features which are different (hollow saddles; chrome truss rod adjuster; 7.5 in neck radius).

Whoever said you can't get a 2 band sound with a 3 band fitted bass is incorrect - i can certainly get a good approximation with a specific EQ setting (noting that the 3 band has more mid range at centre detent - thus you have to cut it slightly - boosting bass and treble a little will also help).

The Classic model is available only in 2 band EQ form - the regular model in 2 or 3 band form, and the multi pick up version in 3 band form only. There is a neck through model also which is available with all of the pick up/EQ options. They're all available with rosewood or maple fingerboards and the standard Stingray in fretless form also (lined or unlined).

The 3 band is a little more flexible than the 2 band in a live setting IMO. In multi pick up form there's further versatility.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1459453020' post='3016843']
Early 90's Stingrays tick all the box's for me, 3 band, figured & lacquered necks, mutes, truss rod wheel & contoured body.
[/quote]

I think that's the era I'm gonna try for. My brother in laws stingray just feels right. Shame he won't sell it to me, even though I have rescued it from his loft!

[quote name='Jimbogubson' timestamp='1459456083' post='3016870']

I think that's the era I'm gonna try for. My brother in laws stingray just feels right. Shame he won't sell it to me, even though I have rescued it from his loft!
[/quote]

Just get divorced & employ avoidance tactics, apparently possession is 9, 10'ths of the law :-)