Why become a member? ×

Bass set up Dorset

JJJack

Can anyone recommend a person or shop who sets up/tweaks basses in Dorset?
I think they have a workshop at Absolute music but is there anyone else?

I need a bit of set up work/truss rod tweaking on a few basses (70s P, 80s J)

Cheers
Jack

Depending where you are in Dorset, there's an exceptionally good guy I've used a lot based over the Hampshire border in Portsmouth ( sorry my geography ain't great!) He's called Simon Jones, or SGL Guitars.

I live in Leicester but still arrange to get stuff to him for major work because he's amazing. Seriously worth checking out.

I can advise where not to go. Please don't go to Don Strikes in Westbourne. Years ago they were excellent but have gone rapidly downhill. Also Oasis in Ringwood had a P-Bass to upgrade the PuPs - took 8 weeks even though he said it would be 2 weeks and then the job was shoddy.

Two places where they have done a good job:

Absolute Music - expensive but one of the chaps is a bass player and has setup a number of my basses and always done a good job
Avon Road in Christchurch - can't remember the name of the chap but cheap and reliable - would have to Google it

Thanks all,

Pompey is about an hour and a half by car for me, Exeter is probably the same.
Funnily enough I bought a '72 precision from Don Strikes in about 1985, £185, you don't get them for that price any more!

Absolute music was my first thought but don't want great expense! Although I did PM the chap from Poole.
Anybody been to guitar mania?

Jack

[quote name='JJJack' timestamp='1459188440' post='3014274']
Thanks all,

Pompey is about an hour and a half by car for me, Exeter is probably the same.
Funnily enough I bought a '72 precision from Don Strikes in about 1985, £185, you don't get them for that price any more!

Absolute music was my first thought but don't want great expense! Although I did PM the chap from Poole.
Anybody been to guitar mania?

Jack
[/quote]
Been to Guitar Mania. They are heavily biased towards the twangy side of the street so don't know about their bass "intelligence" but i believe they don't do the setup work. They give it to a guy who lives in Ashley Road, Parkstone - about 3 houses away from the shop.