Why become a member? ×

Bergantino & Vanderkley cabs - opinions sought

Tee

Just looking for opinions/observations. I'm currently cabless and considering a one (smallish) cab option. Whilst i previously loved my Aguilar DB210, it was a tad bulky. I did like its vintage voiced midrange punch, but i've more recently found that i appreciate a little more note clarity. Hence, i have been looking at the likes of Bergantino/Vanderkley, specifically the Bergantino HD112 and at the Vanderkley 112MNT, or even the 210MNT. The Berg isn't a neo, but is reasonably compact with a good power rating, while the Vanderkleys are neo and are reasonably light for their size.

My head is an Orange TB500, however, with NOS 12AT7s in the preamp, giving it a warm, clean, fat sound, with little gain or break up at all. I use a US P bass with flats. It's very much about the midrange for me, which i tend to push. I like to hear the woody sound of my bass. Bass tone/style is pretty much in the vein of Mike Watt (fiREHOSE, Minutemen etc) so no effects or super low frequencies, just trying to use the fretboard to its full potential.

I'm assuming these cabs will give a decent representation of my amp, bass and fingers? I often think these types of cabs are more for the clean soul, jazz, funk players and not so much for your rock. But then Watt has used Edens for years and got a pretty gritty tone out of them.
Does anyone have any opinions or experience of these cabs? Any users who lean more towards a rock/alt/indie thing? I did see a thread with praise for the tone and midrange of the 210MNT, which was encouraging.

I have gigged both the 112mnt stack and the Berg hd212 and am currently gigging the Cn112 stack.
The Vanderkley 112mnt is an amazing cab that will take all you can give it even on the low B, it is a very deep sounding cab with sparkly sweet high end and a great clear but warm midrange.
The HD112 doesn't sound quite as deep to my ears but sounds fatter in the low mid with quite a polite upper midrange and a nice treble response.
For rock and blues the HD would be my choice, a pair would really hammer with a good amp. The 112mnt will still rock hard but my impression was that it was better for jazz funk and slap.The CN112 is also really nice and has quite a tight low end and the weight saving to me was worth it!
You would not go wrong with either, both are beautifully made and sound great.

I have a Vanderkley 112MNT which gives a lovely warm, fat tone. I've used this with a Genz Benz, and a Mesa Boogie Walkabout - great tones from both. It's currently augmenting my Trace Elliot rig adding that warm tone to the existing fat TE tone.

Not sure where abouts you are in London but you're welcome to come and give it a try.

I haven't played the Bergs but own a couple of Vanderkley 210mnt. Size is great, weight is easily manageable and weighs the same as the single 12 I believe. I know there are lighter cabs but 17kg ain't much and an easy lift even for a middle-aged bloke like myself. I sometimes just gig with the one cab and being honest using the 2 cabs is overkill but sounds immense. Great punchy cab with an underlying bass "heft" to the tone that I found a lot of other smaller cabs lacked. Lovely warm mids which is what drew me to the cab & the tweeter can actually bring in a lot of highs if needed. Too much for me, so mine are set at less than a quarter to give a nice bite to the tone without being too much. I play in a function band and really go for a middly tone, definitely not a slapper! Hope that helps.