Why become a member? ×

Fitness and Stamina

Norris

I was born on D Day.
Apart from sore fingertips if I dont gig for a couple of weeks, the only thing I have had a real problem with is my vocals.
I have had really bad post nasal drip for about a year, so bad I could no longer sing.
I think I have finally narrowed it down to a milk allergy, so stopped using dairy altogether a few weeks ago. Do 2 gigs so far, third one tonight.
Damn I have lost SO much vocal stamina.
I walk my dogs a couple of miles every day but even that is not helping me - ran out of breath to the point that although my voice was still OK it was fast becoming inaudible at the end of the second one hour set.
So now I have to figure out what I can do to get my lungs back up to scratch.

Oh forgot to mention I had a pulmonary embolism in the eighties when HAS left my lung capacity down anyway.

Suggestions, anyone?

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1458986554' post='3012575']
I was born on D Day.
Apart from sore fingertips if I dont gig for a couple of weeks, the only thing I have had a real problem with is my vocals.
I have had really bad post nasal drip for about a year, so bad I could no longer sing.
I think I have finally narrowed it down to a milk allergy, so stopped using dairy altogether a few weeks ago. Do 2 gigs so far, third one tonight.
Damn I have lost SO much vocal stamina.
I walk my dogs a couple of miles every day but even that is not helping me - ran out of breath to the point that although my voice was still OK it was fast becoming inaudible at the end of the second one hour set.
So now I have to figure out what I can do to get my lungs back up to scratch.

Oh forgot to mention I had a pulmonary embolism in the eighties when HAS left my lung capacity down anyway.

Suggestions, anyone?
[/quote]

Worth speaking to a vocal coach - from what my singer (who is a coach) says, a lot of it is about technique. I have massive lung capacity - when I did one of those blowing in to a tube tests I was off the scale, but I used to have massive trouble with the BV's while playing because my technique was so poor. Better now, but still a way to go.

General fitness will help, as will a bit of gym time if that is feasible. Doesn't have to be a big deal - even getting out on a bike in the fresh air for a couple of times a week would make a big difference. Use it or lose it, as they say. Diet is very important, too. Plenty of fresh veg, fruit, chicken and fish.