Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to Fender Bass VI

keefbaker

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew some good alternatives to the Fender Bass VI. I have a pawn shop one (in the profile picture in fact) and while I love the idea of it, the sound is a bit meh and I've had issues, especially with intonation, string choking and general tuning, even after setup.

So does anyone know of a GOOD QUALITY equivalent?

I don't even record with this thing because I know that some of the notes are just going to be out by the end of the track.

Firstly before you go looking for alternatives have a good read through [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211505-2013-squier-vintage-modified-bass-vi/]this thread[/url] especially the bits about replacing the bridge and vibrato units with aftermarket versions and generally about how to set these instruments ups with regard to bridge/saddle height, string break angles and shimming the neck. It may well be that this will contain all the information you need to solve your problems.

If after all that you decide that you still want to look for an alternative bass VI, then I suggest you work your way through [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-short-scale-six-string-club%C2%97for-the-original-six-string-basses.391343/"]this thread from the other place[/url] which contains a wealth of information and lots of actual examples of instruments from other manufacturers.

What you are going to find is that the majority of designs date from the early 60s when these basses were generally studio instruments for doubling up the double bass line for the "tic-tac" sound and technology was still relatively primitive. Even the modern examples tend to follow these old designs rather slavishly - like the bass you currently own. I haven't gone all the way through the thread but AFAICS if you want a truly modern take on a bass VI the easiest one to find will be the [url=http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/hellcat-vi-detail]Schecter Hellcat VI[/url].

BTW do you use the vibrato on yours? If you do that will limit the number of possible alternatives.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458036481' post='3004014']
Believe it or not I actually use it loads.
[/quote]

That rules out the Schecter then. However I have just found this rather nice-looking [url=http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/guitars/jet/g5265-electromatic-jet-baritone-rosewood-fretboard-black-sparkle/]Gretch Jet with a Bigsby vibrato[/url]. It's sold as a baritone guitar but with a 29.75" scale length it should make a decent bass VI when fitted with the right strings.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1458045742' post='3004144']
What type of strings does one use on these? Are they the same as the ones on a baritone guitar or are they a bass-specific short scale set of six?
[/quote]

No baritone guitars are shorter scale (27-28") and tuned to B or A. The Bass VI is 30" scale length and tuned E-e like a normal six string guitar but an octave lower. There's a full discussion on what strings to use on the Bass VI in the thread I linked to in my first reply.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1458036110' post='3003998']

What you are going to find is that the majority of designs date from the early 60s when these basses were generally studio instruments for doubling up the double bass line for the "tic-tac" sound and technology was still relatively primitive. Even the modern examples tend to follow these old designs rather slavishly - like the bass you currently own.

[/quote]

I'll have to agree with that.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458037564' post='3004031']

Nice! I'll have a go at fixing up my VI first.

[/quote]

But they can still have a more (rather than less) effective setup.