Why become a member? ×

Chris Stapleton at the o2 last night!

paul h

Was anyone else lucky enough to see Chris's oh too short set at the o2 last night?

It. Was. Incredible. Breathtaking stuff.

Bass, drums, Chris on guitar and vocals and his wife Morgan on backing. A tiny set up in the middle of a huge stage...and the biggest voice I have ever heard. The only way you knew you weren't listening to the actual Traveller album was the vocal ad libs and the mistakes :D which in absolutely no way detracted from the performance.

The charming thing was that you could see that they were a bit overwhelmed. I don't think Chris even looked at the audience...he didn't take his eyes off Morgan the whole time...and everyone loved him more for it.

No stagecraft, no bullshit, just a real band pouring their hearts into their music. After his acoustic rendition of Whiskey and You it seemed as though the applause would never stop.

I confess I had a tear in my eye there was so much love for them.

If he doesn't headline the Country 2 Country festival I will eat my cowboy hat.

He would have been the only one I fancied seeing in the whole weekend's line up.

Decided to pass this year after splashing put on a VIP box for both nights last year - plus Jason Aldean would have been a hard act to follow.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1457951957' post='3003202']
I've got my fingers crossed that he can fit in a few solo dates a some point this year or next!
[/quote]

I'd love to see him again...a smaller more intimate gig would be mind blowing.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1457955411' post='3003246']
He would have been the only one I fancied seeing in the whole weekend's line up.

Decided to pass this year after splashing put on a VIP box for both nights last year - plus Jason Aldean would have been a hard act to follow.
[/quote]

I was going on Saturday originally but swapped to Sunday once I found out Chris Stapleton was playing. I wasn't really that bothered by anyone else either. Also I was lucky enough to be in a box...makes it a nice evening out!

I do like Jason Aldean...my band are doing Night Train :)

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1458031958' post='3003954']
Didnt know we had New Country fans on here!
Both solid acts, guys.
I was working in NAshville back in the eighties and nineties when it all started kicking off.
[/quote]

Oh yes. I have recently developed a real love of modern country. I'm putting together a project playing Chris Stapleton, Luke Bryan, Keith Urban, Jason Aldean etc.

I am still boring anyone who will listen about the Chris Stapleton gig...I can't remember that last time I was this affected by a performance. It was magical, it really was :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1458073230' post='3004486']
I love Chris and Morgane's harmonies - they work so well together.
[/quote]

They did their version of You Are My Sunshine. It was stunning. Everybody went wild afterwards and the look on Morgane's face was priceless. I think she was in shock and just couldn't stop grinning.

For a pretty big venue they somehow managed to make it feel incredibly intimate.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1458073499' post='3004493']

They did their version of You Are My Sunshine. It was stunning. Everybody went wild afterwards and the look on Morgane's face was priceless. I think she was in shock and just couldn't stop grinning.

For a pretty big venue they somehow managed to make it feel incredibly intimate.
[/quote]

Sounds suberb!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1458073690' post='3004497']
Sounds suberb!
[/quote]

It really was. I've been a bit of a music cynic for a pretty long time now...probably due to being in strings of dodgy pub rock cover bands! But that 45 minutes of music has really excited me again.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1458119520' post='3004789']
Making me regret my decision not to go, I must say. Hopefully he will come back - seems quite a few of them do after appearing on C2C.

Your project sounds like a good one - do you need a bass player? :)
[/quote]

There is every chance I might get the sack one day...I will let you know :D

Here are a couple of reviews...

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/music-section/music-reviews/live/c2c-country-to-country-2016-chris-stapleton-live-review/

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/652741/Review-Chris-Stapleton-country-2-country-festival-O2-arena