Why become a member? ×

Behringer X18 Air

paulmcnamara

I've mixed pretty much every show I've done in the last three years (probably more than a 1000) has been on some form of digital console.

I've tried in no particular order..

Allen Heath Qu24
Yamaha LS9 16 and 32
Yamaha 02R (w/unity)
Soundcraft 328
Soundcraft 328XD
Mackie D8B
Mackie DL1608
Digico SD8

I've also had a play with a Behringer X32, a Yamaha M7CL and an Allen & Heath Qu16 and an iLive T112 but never mixed a show on them.

If I never used another analogue console again, I wouldn't be upset. I love the charm of a big oldskool desk like an ML5000 with a giant rack of gear but to 'get the job done' I'd prefer a digi console everytime.

We've just bought the Soundcraft ui12. £230 from scan so a single gig will pay for it. Just had a single rehearsal playing/learning with it so far so I'll take the analogue desk to the next gig too just in case.

Looks very promising so far though, very versatile and lots of options for customising each vocal channel and monitor outputs. Digital interface is more complex than the old desk but easy to navigate after about 10 mins. We'll use it as a 'set and forget' for vocals with a bit of kick and everything else back line so it seems to tick all the boxes so far.

I'm pretty new at being the band 'pa guy' so any tips would be more than welcome.

Edited by colleya