Why become a member? ×

FX pedal voltage issue?

Grassie

I have an original DOD FX62 bass stereo chorus pedal which won't power up with a 9v adapter. The blurb says to us a 10v adapter but it obviously powers up with a 9v battery. I want to daisy chain other 9v pedals to it as well.
Am I missing something or just being monumentally thick...?
:huh:

Edited by Grassie

2 possibilities spring to mind:

- wrong polarity on the mains adaptor - if it's an early model with a 1/8in jack, that will be centre positive, whereas the Boss 'standard' used by the majority of makers is centre negative; or
- there is an internal fault which is stopping current flowing form the DC jack to the circuit.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1456505703' post='2989831']
[attachment=213381:WP_20160226_16_49_58_Pro.jpg]
[attachment=213382:WP_20160226_16_50_21_Pro.jpg]
[/quote]

Ok that's a 1/8in jack socket. You need to be sure that you have positive going to the tip of the DC plug, negative to the 'sleeve'. The Pedal should work off 9V but it may have a bit less headroom. I used to have one of these, and I think I have the circuit at home (on hols at mo). I think DOD specify 10V because it drops about a volt across a diode that protects the circuit from incorrect polarity.

If your lead is centre negative you will need to get an adaptor to reverse the polarity.

Edited by JapanAxe

Yup, JapanAxe is correct - that's a 1/8" centre positive adaptor. If you've tried using an adaptor and got the polarity wrong (used a centre negative) then you might have blown the polarity protection diode on the mains socket, which would explain why it's not running on a mains adaptor. It's an analogue unit using a 3007 bucket bridge chip, so I reckon it's well worth keeping hold of.