Why become a member? ×

I've Got A Screw Loose!

probablypike

Not a very "technical" issue here, but I was hoping I could get some second opinions.

The strap bolt screw at the bridge end of my body has come loose, and so the strap bolt has come clean off.

This happened ages ago on my neck side bolt, and the advice from my local shop was to stuff some match sticks in and screw the screw back in. I wasn't very comfortable with this so I brought my bass in and they did it for me- it was good as new.

This is a simple fix, so I was hoping I could get some reassurance about screwing the strap bolt back on myself.

Thanks very much for your help.

Alex

Matchsticks will work but you would be better off with a more durable wood. I've used cocktail sticks and also proper little timber dowels (from hardware store)/ Put some wood glue in to the hole, push in your choice of wood. Leave alone for a while to let the glue dry. Trim off any excess wood. Refit the strap button. :)

Yes, I agree with gary mac above.
Match sticks, dowels and cocktail sticks work well for this sort of application. Of course, if you use a good strong PVA glue as well, even better. Another alternative is to use a good quality hard wood filler, and to let that dry thoroughly. Although I think I'd still prefer to use a dowel or match....

Edited by Marc S

Another +1 for gary mac's suggestions. The wood dowel solution will be the most robust as the proper ones are 'grooved'. When used in a correctly sized hole with wood glue the result will be as strong, if not stronger, than the original wood.

You can find 'dowel kits' that include the correct size drill bit in most DIY stores.