Why become a member? ×

Why short scale ?

The Hat

For me, I always liked the Mustang/Musicmaster shape, so I got a cheapie Squier Badtz-Maru.

It weighs nothing, it was easily customisable following a headstock accident, plays easier and sounds a bit more whumpy than an equivalent 34" scale bass and it's fun. Let's also not forget these are serious instruments too. Short isn't the remotest bit silly.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1455573975' post='2980441']
For me, I always liked the Mustang/Musicmaster shape, so I got a cheapie Squier Badtz-Maru.

It weighs nothing, it was easily customisable following a headstock accident, plays easier and sounds a bit more whumpy than an equivalent 34" scale bass and it's fun. Let's also not forget these are serious instruments too. Short isn't the remotest bit silly.
[/quote]

Amen to that, coz I is a short arse !

I've had a few and really like them. I currently have two - a Squier Musicmaster Vista Series, which is totally awesome, and a Danelectro Longhorn, which is also totally awesome but in a different way. I find the shorter scale length really comfortable - I guess a lot depends upon your fretting hand technique but nothing seems to be as much of a stretch as full scale. As has been said, some (but not all) have a different thuddy kind of tone to them. Another big thing for me is that they are often (but not always) quite lightweight - the Dano in particular is in danger of floating away. I am not small and don't have small hands, so it is nothing do do with size - you often see short scale basses listed as 'great starter basses' 'woman or men with small hands' and other such nonsense. You also often see it mentioned as being 'great if you have just migrated from guitar' but I also think that is nonsense. You either like shortscale or don't, as far as I can see. Definitely worth trying to see if it 'fits'.