Why become a member? ×

what makes a bass feel fast?

chickenjames

so I am now the proud owner of two 4 string basses - EBMM StingRay 4 and a Sire Marcus Miller V7 J bass.

I _think_ they're both set up fairly similarly - the MM is as it came from Thomann and I've done the EBMM myself.
They both have d'Addario Chromes (flats) and the action seems to measure about the same on them both. I set the truss rod on the Ray so that I could wind the saddles a long way down on all the strings without buzzing, which feels right now.

But - and here's the fun bit - they feel completely different. Even before you plug them in or listen at all, they're worlds apart.

The Ray feels super smooth, and the MM is beautifully clanky.
If you pick the MM up by the top of the neck it feels extremely thin compared to the Ray, and it's just, well, quicker. It feels easier to get more notes in , if you know what I mean.
That's not to say that there's anything I dislike about the Ray, just that the MM feels somehow turbo-charged.
The touch sensitivity on the Ray is noticeably better though - it's much easier to vary tone and articulation (staccato vs legato etc) with my fingers.
I know nothing at all about nut width, neck profile and string spacing so I'd be very interested to see if anyone could explain my experiences by reference to these things!

To be clear, I love both of these basses and I'm expecting to use the two of them fairly equally through a set. (Which BTW says quite a lot about the value for money in the MM, considering that it set me back £300 and the Stingray was nearer £1000, new - it's the special edition 2EQ plain version with a gig bag).

comments welcome, thanks

Edited by chickenjames

It sounds like the neck just fits your hand better on the quicker bass, often slimmer is confused with faster/better but it's all personal preference, one persons fast is another persons slow. Fretboard radius can come into it also, the Sire has a more pronounced 7.25" radius which you must prefer!

Another contributing factor can be the finish...more satin/matte=faster, glossier=stickier.

Edited by Manton Customs

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1454267513' post='2968094']
Fretboard radius can come into it also, the Sire has a more pronounced 7.25" radius which you must prefer!

[/quote]

Quite a big difference between the two, so this could well be the "fast" factor.

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1454267513' post='2968094']
It sounds like the neck just fits your hand better on the quicker bass, often slimmer is confused with faster/better but it's all personal preference, one persons fast is another persons slow. Fretboard radius can come into it also, the Sire has a more pronounced 7.25" radius which you must prefer!

Another contributing factor can be the finish...more satin/matte=faster, glossier=stickier.
[/quote]
[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1454268480' post='2968114']
Quite a big difference between the two, so this could well be the "fast" factor.
[/quote]

I hadn't thought of that - what do you think the radius on my Stingray is ?

Again, this is not a major worry for me, I'm interested in understanding, that's all

Speed and being "fast" is about technique.

The thinner neck is easier to play so you don't have to move or stretch your fingers as much so it "feels" better.

In the end the Musicman will feel just as fast.

Edited by chris_b

I always thought slimmer necks would be easier/faster to play. Wrong......
Bought a USA Musicman Sub, loved it so much i picked up a USA Sterling assuming the skinnier neck would be an even better option.
I found i kept tripping over my fingers and cramping up on the smaller neck - the standard Musicman neck just feels better to me.....